Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

I soon realized that perhaps MHB itself could possibility benefit from this if it expanded and polis

karush

Jan 31, 2012
Recently I have been saving my calculus posts to an overleaf project.
This of course is done after modifying all the replies into a typical example of how a problem is solved.

It also allows for using a table of contents so the examples can be placed under topics.
I currently have 25 problems saved albeit in somewhat draft mode.

However, I soon realized that perhaps MHB itself could possibility benefit from this if it expanded and polished..

1. The Beta test would be creating a PDF of about 50 solved problems
that were posted and solved here on the forum

2. The key respondents would be noted such as MarkFL and other highly respected help

3. The thread would be modified to be typical of what one would see in text book example
Except a little more comment on how to solve.
Include Theoroms and graphs that apply and add some cosmetics for appeal.

4. And of course the ussual review for errors, typos and suggested comment before available for download.

Ok, I realize there are links to similar problems but it is kind busy to plough thru all this and sometimes the lengthy treads are cluttered with non essentials.

Frankly, a personal reason for this is, I despertally need some portfolio for Tex Typsetting I am moving towards the opertunity of producting a entire math Textbook subject to who ever wants to be the author of it.

Also, this could be a means to furthor expand the usage and the reputation of the forum.
If links such as what you see of basically the same thing from Universities is on the internet to the forum that would say a lot.

Also, one dreamy possibility too is if these become sophisicated enough for an ebook of 1000+ pages to be put on the market ... might be jaw dropping

Sorry, I am a little insane today.

Karush

(ray)
Wahiawa hawaii

Last edited:

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Sounds like a good addition to the forum.

karush

Jan 31, 2012
ok, I start the problems from the Calculus Forum

When I get 20 examples done I provide a link for evaluation.

I hoping this will be a popular and very useful asset to the forum

R

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
This sounds like it could be a nice resource...thanks for thinking of MHB in such a way. (Yes)

If there's anything the administrative staff can provide to make this go more smoothly, please feel free to let us know. :D

karush

Jan 31, 2012
first thanks for all the encouragement that was posted..:cool::cool::cool:
this past weekend I started going thru the calculus forum and picked out some threads on limits and derivatives. mostly because there will be a lot of requests for this soon when Q1 starts up.

briefly for now I give each distilled thread one page to include the tread OP and who replied.

Trying to keep it in tack the way it was posted, just removing non essential clutter.

and will add theorems, basic equations, and desmos graph it appropriate.

Of course the real value of providing this to show how valuable a forum can be. And much of help you will receive on MHB is not available otherwise.
And too to readily see the very high level of expertise the forum has. so this would be the main billing.

Your comments would really be appreciated since it should reflect a strong asset to the forum.

bare in mind that the link to Dropbox of the composed PDF is periodically updated and trying to get it to a level that you would feel represents the forum well.

I'm in the process of writing some macros and templates so the proscess of going from thread to PDF would average about 20 minutes.

one feature I am trying is to put the lead math expression in the contents to provide a quicker way to find what the inquirer wants

ok I have never put a link on the forum so don't know if this works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cpwjdvtyefksu8/mhb-solved-treads.pdf

just remember this is a very rough first draft
its the kiddie pool level

one thing I wanted to add to the solved posts are links referring to stickies and other helpful feature of the forum.

Last edited:

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
The link works fine (for me).

The rough draft looks good - the document has a good overall flow and the presentation is clear enough - it will be even better once all of the stray tags are cleaned up. Good work!

karush

Jan 31, 2012
Its been easier than I thot:cool:

I did reduce the whole doc to 8pt Some threads have a lot of info and want keep the thread on one page if can.
If the viewer wants increased font they can just zoom up since it is a PDF

the process I am doing is just cut and paste from the "reply as a quote" then paste right into overleaf
very little error shows up. the tags can be all be dealt with "find and replace"

the optimism from users really shows up on the threads!

karush

Jan 31, 2012
This sounds like it could be a nice resource...thanks for thinking of MHB in such a way. (Yes)

If there's anything the administrative staff can provide to make this go more smoothly, please feel free to let us know. :D

first thanks for the immense help you have been to so many students. I consider the forum my greatest source of help.

one of the looming questions I have about a PDF which gives the distilled essence of solved posts on MHF would be its access.

The current list of stickies available are obviously a one time shot. So not sure how periodic updates would work. My impluse would be a update when an frequent topic has sufficient examples to merit such.

Also, since I have already sent a link out to some of my math friends and their reply was an anxious wanting more. I decided to supply links to the very valuable stickies already available to posters. This Im sure would lead to more new members to the forum.
however I did try an experiment on this but get it to work.

I did start using the MHB logo and implemented some macros this reduces the code and makes global changes very easy.

the latest
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljus7udqhthewmj/mhb-solved-treads.pdf

Last edited:

karush

Jan 31, 2012

karush

Jan 31, 2012
Last edited: