I need to understand this derivation on solubility

In summary: S). But I'm not really clear on what this last part is defining, or why it matters.In summary, the textbook defines solubility as the molarity of a salt in a saturated solution. Ksp is the solubility of a salt in a solution, and it decreases as the pH of the solution decreases. If you have a salt and an acid, you can calculate S by solving for f. If you add a strong base to the solution, Ksp will decrease even more.
Sunil Simha

Homework Statement

This is a derivation of the relation between solubility of a salt and pH of the solution in which it is dissolved from our textbook.
Consider a salt MX whose Ksp=[M+][K-]

If this were dissolved in a solution of the acid HX whose Ka=[H+][X-]/[HX]
then what would be its solubility?

Now Ka/[H+]=[X-]/[HX]

or Ka/([H+]+ Ka)=[X-]/([HX]+[X-])=f say
It can be seen that f decreases as pH decreases.

If S were the solubility,

Then Ksp=(S)(f*S)
= S2(Ka+[H+])/Ka

Could anyone please explain how Ksp=(S)(f*S) because I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunil Simha said:

Homework Statement

This is a derivation of the relation between solubility of a salt and pH of the solution in which it is dissolved from our textbook.
Consider a salt MX whose Ksp=[M+[STRIKE][K[]sup]-[/sup]][/STRIKE][X-]

If this were dissolved in a solution of the acid HX whose Ka=[H+][X-]/[HX]
then what would be its solubility?

Now Ka/[H+]=[X-]/[HX]

or Ka/([H+]+ Ka)=[X-]/([HX]+[X-])=f say
It can be seen that f decreases as pH decreases.

If S were the solubility,

Then Ksp=(S)(f*S)
= S2(Ka+[H+])/Ka

Could anyone please explain how Ksp=(S)(f*S) because I have no idea.

You would help yourself and us if you told us both what your book is defining solubility as in this case. It could be the total concentration of M or the total concentrtion of X in solution at saturation. I'll assume it is X.

Your equation Ksp=[M+][X-] remains valid all the time.

But in the simple case of the salt alone you have that [M+] = [X-] and it reduces to a simple square, [M+]2 or [X-]2 - same thing - which you also call S.

In your more complicated case I guess they are defining a K'sp as [M][Xtotal]. The Xtotal is ([X-]+[HX]). Which is ([X-] + [X-][H+]/Ka) from which your rìequation follows.

If you have any more questions and come back, please quote your source more completely.

Hello epenguin,

I'm sorry about my lack of clarity in the question but I myself did not understand what the textbook defined as solubility in this section. It doesn't say a word about it in the parts before and after this derivation and the derivation itself is vague about it. Attached to this post is a picture of that section.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me.

Sunil

Attachments

• IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 466
Sunil Simha said:
Then Ksp=(S)(f*S)
= S2(Ka+[H+])/Ka

I'm really sorry about my clumsiness in typing the question.:frown:

Please see the attachment in the previous post. It reads Ksp= S2(Ka)/(Ka + [H+]).

Now can anyone please clarify why this is correct?

Thanks a lot and I apologize again for my goof-up.

There seem to be two things to understand, this phenomenon and the theory of it, and what this author says about it, of which the first is more important. Possibly someone who needs to invert an equation twice in two lines is not the easiest expositor to follow.* Instead of following, work it out yourself - that is often easier, advantageous and necessesary in this field. Give yourself a permission to do that! As a habit. Use the book as check of your conclusions.

In this case I'll give my way. We define solubility, S, as the molarity of salt MX in solution when saturated. It isn't really MX molecules in solution but we call it that. This molarity we can write [MX] but it's also equal to [M+] and to [X-] in the simple case without protonations: in which case

[MX] = [M+] = [X-] and at saturation = S.
So then Ksp = [M+].[X-] ...(1)
= S2

Now if X- can be protonated while M not be deprotonated, you have a weak acid and a strong base and a solution of MX will be alkaline.

Say you now add acid and protonate some of the X-

Ksp = [M+].[X-] still. We should suppose the added acid is, say HNO3 with a soluble M-salt.** Then [M+] is still our conventional [MX] and, at saturation, S, so Ksp = S.[X-]. …(2)
But now [X-] ≠ [M+] (in fact we would have [M+] = [X-] + [NO3-]). And [X-] ≠ [MX], for some of the X has been sequestered as soluble HX.

The fraction of total MX that is still free is
[tex] \frac{[X^-]}{[X^-]+[HX]} = \frac{1}{1+[H^+]/K_{a}} [/tex]

So the [X-] in eq.(2) is now related to [MX] and, at saturation to S by
[tex] [X^-] = [MX] . \frac{1}{1+[H^+]/K_{a}} [/tex]
so substituting in (2) will give

[tex] K_{sp} = S^2 . \frac{1}{1+[H^+]/K_{a}} [/tex]

So if we defined an apparent Ksp at any [H+] as KspH+ = [MX]2 at saturation at that [H+], i.e. the S2 in the last equation above, we'll get
KspH+ = Ksp(1 +[H+]/Ka)

- a typical type of expression for a pH-dependent phenomenon. I suppose he writes this f to save writing out the same function of H+ every time, and also it would be more general, e.g. if something had a soluble ammonia complex you might find expressions invoving (1 + [NH3]6/K') or something instead of
(1 + [H+]/Ka)

* Mine could be boiled down a bit too.:smile:

**This is not mentioned on the quoted page, and you could get confused if you are led to think of being able to change [H+] independently without this other change.
Slightly different to think about is the case where you acidify by adding the acid HX. Need to think about whether that is really comprised in the formula – you can no longer call this a solution of MX – but I think you can work out that this addition will cause no extra precipitation of MX.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot epenguin and I shall follow your advice next time I have such a problem. This finally makes sense to me now.:smile:

Related to I need to understand this derivation on solubility

1. What is solubility and why is it important?

Solubility is the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent. It is an important concept in chemistry because it helps us understand how different substances interact with each other and how they behave in various solutions.

2. How is solubility calculated?

Solubility is typically calculated using the solubility product constant (Ksp), which is a measure of the maximum amount of solute that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature.

3. What factors affect solubility?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solvent and solute. Generally, higher temperatures and pressures increase solubility, while the chemical properties of the substances involved can also play a role.

4. How does solubility relate to concentration?

Solubility is directly related to concentration, as the more solute that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent, the higher the concentration of the solution will be. However, it is important to note that solubility is not the same as concentration, as some substances may have high solubility but low concentration in a solution.

5. How is solubility represented in a phase diagram?

Solubility is represented in a phase diagram by a solubility curve, which shows the relationship between temperature and solubility. The curve often has a positive slope, indicating that solubility increases with temperature, but may also have a negative slope, indicating a decrease in solubility with temperature.