I need to turn a 24" flywheel at 500 RPM with a bicycle

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of gear ratios needed to turn a 24", 100 lb flywheel at 500 RPM using a bicycle. The speaker was unable to find a formula for the gear ratio and asked for guidance. Another member suggested a simple formula for calculating the gear ratio based on pedaling rate. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of using compound gear ratios.
Tim1876
I am trying to figure out the gear ratio's needed to turn a 24", 100 lb flywheel at 500 RM with a bicycle. I can not find a formula to calculate the size gears I will need. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Pf! Do you know the formula for gear ratio? Is this homework? An actual design project? Where have you looked/what have you tried?

Last edited:
Pretty simple. What is your pedaling rate? Say it is 70 rpm. Then the gear ratio needed is 70 / 500 or 0.14:1. It is a pretty large gear ratio, you might be interested in doing compound gear ratios.

Related to I need to turn a 24" flywheel at 500 RPM with a bicycle

What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy. It consists of a heavy rotating disc or wheel that is used to maintain a constant speed of rotation in a machine or to store energy for later use.

Why is a flywheel needed for a bicycle?

A flywheel is not necessary for a bicycle to function, as the pedals and chain drive provide the necessary rotational energy. However, a flywheel can help to smooth out the pedaling motion and make it more efficient, especially for high-speed cycling.

What is the significance of a flywheel's size and speed?

The size and speed of a flywheel determine its rotational inertia, which is the resistance to changes in rotational speed. A larger and faster flywheel will have a higher rotational inertia, making it more effective at storing and maintaining energy.

How do you calculate the necessary flywheel size and speed for a specific RPM?

The necessary flywheel size and speed can be calculated using the formula: Flywheel Size (inches) = (RPM x 60) / (2π x Desired Speed in mph). For example, to achieve 500 RPM at a speed of 10 mph, the flywheel size would need to be approximately 47 inches.

Are there any other factors to consider when using a flywheel with a bicycle?

Yes, when using a flywheel with a bicycle, it is important to consider the weight and balance of the bike, as well as the proper placement and attachment of the flywheel to avoid any safety hazards. It is also important to regularly maintain and lubricate the flywheel to ensure smooth and efficient operation.