I need to review modulus function

In summary, a modulus function is a mathematical function that returns the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It always returns a positive value and is written using vertical bars around the input number. The purpose of a modulus function is to determine distance on a number line and is also used in mathematical operations. To solve equations involving modulus function, both positive and negative values of the input number must be considered. A modulus function can have complex numbers as inputs, and in this case, it returns the absolute value of the complex number.
aarti34
Can anyone help me understand this questions from 800score.com ? I'm finding it hard to understand the modulus function

Solve
14 - 9|x - 8| = 15

Kindly review this question and help me out on this as my exams are nearing.

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The link you posted has nothing to do with your specific question, so I removed it. It strikes me as an attempt to spam us. However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Can you show us what you think you should do? Perhaps you should isolate the absolute valued expression...what do you find?

Related to I need to review modulus function

1. What is a modulus function?

A modulus function, also known as absolute value function, is a mathematical function that returns the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It always returns a positive value, regardless of the input being positive or negative.

2. How do you write a modulus function?

A modulus function is written using vertical bars around the input number. For example, the modulus function of -5 is written as |-5|, which returns the value 5.

3. What is the purpose of a modulus function?

A modulus function is used to determine the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is also used in various mathematical operations, such as finding the remainder of a division operation.

4. How do you solve equations involving modulus function?

To solve equations involving modulus function, you need to consider both the positive and negative values of the input number. For example, to solve |x| = 5, you need to consider both x = 5 and x = -5 as possible solutions.

5. Can a modulus function have complex numbers as inputs?

Yes, a modulus function can have complex numbers as inputs. In this case, the modulus function returns the absolute value of the complex number, which is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.