I need to build a water filter, help?

In summary: It is likely the cause of the black particles. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a homemade reverse osmosis water filter to save money. However, it is noted that it would be difficult to find the necessary materials and may not be cost-effective. The conversation also suggests checking the pre-filter stage for any issues with black particles in the water. Resources for building a homemade filter are provided.
_Eternity_
I am trying to make my own Reverse Osmosis water filter, and I need some help. Can someone tell me where I can find parts for it so I can make it myself instead of spending $150 on it? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What brand is your system?

We have a reverse osmosis system too and we also were thinking about finding something better and cheaper. My dad just changed the filter, but there is something bad about the current filter, we live in the country and have well water, but some how there are black particles that are still flowing in it, and I'm not sure what it could be. Any suggestions??

_Eternity_ said:
I am trying to make my own Reverse Osmosis water filter, and I need some help. Can someone tell me where I can find parts for it so I can make it myself instead of spending $150 on it? Thank you.

I seriously doubt you would be able to build your own domestic reverse-osmosis system for less than one can be bought these days. Finding the necessary semipermeable membrane material (probably company proprietary information) and putting it in a pressure housing would be a pretty difficult proposition.

mcknia07 said:
What brand is your system?

We have a reverse osmosis system too and we also were thinking about finding something better and cheaper. My dad just changed the filter, but there is something bad about the current filter, we live in the country and have well water, but some how there are black particles that are still flowing in it, and I'm not sure what it could be. Any suggestions??

probably an activated carbon pre-filter stage. the carbon won't harm you.

you must check your carbon pre-filter stage.

Related to I need to build a water filter, help?

What materials do I need to build a water filter?

To build a basic water filter, you will need a plastic or glass container, gravel, sand, activated charcoal, and cotton or cheesecloth.

What is the best design for a water filter?

The best design for a water filter will depend on your specific needs and the materials available. However, a simple gravity-fed design using layers of gravel, sand, and charcoal is effective for removing large particles and impurities from water.

How does a water filter work?

A water filter works by passing water through different layers of materials that trap and remove impurities. The layers of gravel, sand, and charcoal help to physically and chemically filter out particles and contaminants from the water.

Is boiling water enough to make it safe to drink?

Boiling water can kill harmful bacteria and parasites, but it does not remove chemicals or heavy metals. Using a water filter in addition to boiling can provide an extra layer of protection and improve the taste of the water.

Can I use a homemade water filter for all types of water?

Homemade water filters are best suited for filtering fresh, clean water from sources like lakes, rivers, or streams. They are not effective for removing salt, chemicals, or heavy metals from saltwater or highly polluted water sources.