I need to build a hacky-sack launcher

In summary, the launcher has to fit inside a 15" cube when set, weigh less than 15 lbs., and have to use purely mechanical power, compressed air not included. It will have to be accurate to within 1 foot from 10-35 feet away. It also needs an internal trigger.
advertisehere
http://party.windycitynovelties.com/search?w=bls042dz2&asug=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0" is the hacky sack, it weighs 50-60g and is about 2" in diameter
The launcher has to fit inside a 15" cube when set, weigh less than 15 lbs. and has to use purely mechanical power, compressed air not included. It will have to be accurate to within 1 foot from 10-35 feet away. It also needs an internal trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Advertisehere.
So what's the question? Nobody here will just up and give you blueprints for a class problem. You have to tell us what you think, and we'll guide you. What sort of mechanisms have you looked into so far? Which one do you favour, and why?

Well, I've looked into a trebuchet assisted by a spring at the base of the end with the hacky sack and and an elastic band at the other end.
I've also considered a catapult with adjustable launch angle, as well as a sling-shot type thing.

Good start. What do you consider to be the advantages and disadvantages of each? Does the accuracy have to be repeatable, or is it a one-shot deal?

Accuracy is very important, it basically needs to be calibrated to each foot with pretty much 100% accuracy.
The trebuchet might be too complex, and maybe not accurate enough.
The catapult may not give good range.
The sling shot is simple but the accuracy may not be too good

Well... to start with, forget the 100% accuracy. That just isn't going to happen. I do agree that the trebuchet has serious issues in that regard, but the throwing capacity is amazing. If memory serves, one of those can heave a cow about half a mile. That's a bit of overkill in your situation. (And one of that scale wouldn't meet your size/weight requirements.)
Catapults can be very accurate given a constant payload, which you have. It takes a while to tune them in, but things are good after that. Remember that part of that constancy relates to exactly how the load is seated in the cradle, so you have to be able to duplicate it repeatedly.
The term 'slingshot' actually covers a fair bit of real estate. You can have anything from a 'Dennis the Menace' tree branch with a bit of bicycle inner tube up to 'Wrist Rockets' that can almost rival the power of a small handgun. One of my school buddies made one using surgical tubing that could put a 1/4" steel bearing through the side of a 50 gallon oil drum. (It was a rusty old drum, but that's still pretty impressive.) He actually killed a crow at about 100 feet with it. His neighbour on the next farm over was going nuts trying to figure out where all of the dents in his barn were coming from. :biggrin:

ogre-catapult-picture.jpg

Im thinking of having a design like this with a spring or elastic band with adjustable mounting points to adjust for distance.
Im not sure if it would fit into the 15" cube though.

You can always scale it down to fit. Lack of lever-arm length can be compensated for by increased spring power.

How about a big coil-spring rat trap or similar design. They are bigger than mousetraps. You have to launch the hackysack at about 14.6 meters per sec at an angle of 45 degrees to reach 35 feet.

I like the idea of a slingshot, Similar to a water balloon sling shot but designed to launch a hacky sack. Now if you could take the sling shot on a cross structure so that the bucket holding the hacky sack is propelled along a strait line you could control the angle the projectile (hacky sack) would leave the slingshot. You could use bungie chords for the elastics and have it so the bungie chord could be locked at various tensions thus controlling the intitial velocity of the hacky sack.

With a changeable angle and being able to change launch speeds by tensing the bungie chords more of less you could run some tests take some range measurements to find out which settings will fire your bean bag the farthest.

Related to I need to build a hacky-sack launcher

1. How does a hacky-sack launcher work?

A hacky-sack launcher works by using a mechanism to propel the hacky-sack into the air. This can be achieved through the use of elastic bands, springs, or compressed air. The launcher also has a target or net that the hacky-sack is aimed towards.

2. What materials are needed to build a hacky-sack launcher?

The materials needed to build a hacky-sack launcher will depend on the design and mechanism used. Some common materials include wood, PVC pipes, elastic bands, springs, and a net or target. It is important to choose sturdy and durable materials to ensure the longevity of the launcher.

3. Is it difficult to build a hacky-sack launcher?

The difficulty level of building a hacky-sack launcher will vary depending on the individual's experience and skills in building and working with tools. Some designs may be more complex than others, so it is important to have a clear plan and understanding of the mechanism before starting the build. Overall, with the right materials and instructions, building a hacky-sack launcher can be a fun and achievable project.

4. Can I customize my hacky-sack launcher?

Yes, you can customize your hacky-sack launcher to fit your preferences. You can choose the size and shape of the launcher, as well as the materials used. You can also add decorations or personalize it with your own design. However, it is important to ensure that any modifications made do not compromise the functionality and safety of the launcher.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a hacky-sack launcher?

Yes, it is important to take some safety precautions when using a hacky-sack launcher. Make sure to use the launcher in an open and clear area to avoid any accidents. Also, be careful when launching the hacky-sack and make sure to aim away from people or objects. Lastly, always follow the instructions and guidelines for building and using the launcher to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.