Can Anyone Solve These Challenging Math Problems?

• Thread starter marmot83457
  • Start date
In summary, the students were not able to come up with a proof to solve problem 4. They were able to come up with a list of possible combinations that could result in the conversation, but were not able to prove it was a perfect square.
marmot83457
I need some help with some problems urgently...

Hi my teacher assigned me some math problem due very soon but i could not figure out how to solve them so can anyone please help me with these? thank you very much

Problem 1
An increasing arithmetic sequence with infinitely many terms is determined as follows.
A single die is thrown and the number that appears is taken as the first term. The die is thrown again and the second number that appears is taken as the common difference between each pair of consecutive terms. Determine with proof how many of the 36 possible sequences formed in this way contain at least one perfect square.

Problem 2
George has six ropes. He chooses two of the twelve loose ends at random (possibly from the same rope), and ties them together, leaving ten loose ends. He again chooses two loose ends at random and joins them, and so on, until there are no loose ends. Find, with proof, the expected value of the number of loops George ends up with.

Problem 3
Let r be a nonzero real number. The values of z which satisfy the equation
R^4z^4 + (10r^6 - 2r^2)z^2 - 16r^5z + (9r^8 + 10r^4 + 1) = 0 are plotted on the complex plane (i.e. using the real part of each root as the x-coordinate and the imaginary part as the y-coordinate). Show that the area of the convex quadrilateral with these points as vertices is independent of r, and find this area.

Problem 4
Homer gives mathematicians Patty and Selma each a di_erent integer, not known to the other or to you. Homer tells them, within each other’s hearing, that the number given to Patty is the product ab of the positive integers a and b, and that the number given to Selma is the sum a + b of the same numbers a and b, where b > a > 1. He doesn’t, however, tell Patty or Selma the numbers a and b. The following (honest) conversation then takes place:
Patty: “I can’t tell what numbers a and b are.”
Selma: “I knew before that you couldn’t tell.”
Patty: “In that case, I now know what a and b are.”
Selma: “Now I also know what a and b are.”
Supposing that Homer tells you (but neither Patty nor Selma) that neither a nor b is greater
than 20, find a and b, and prove your answer can result in the conversation above.

Problem 5
Given triangle ABC, let M be the midpoint of side AB and N be the midpoint of
side AC. A circle is inscribed inside quadrilateral NMBC, tangent to all four sides, and that circle touches MN at point X. The circle inscribed in triangle AMN touches MN at point Y , with Y between X and N. If XY = 1 and BC = 12, find, with proof, the lengths of the sides AB and AC.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have to start by telling us your thoughts on the problems -- what you've tried already, what ideas you think you might be able to use, that sort of thing.

Well me and my friends mostly tried a trial and error aproach. For example with #1 we know that if 1 or 4 is the first roll u then 2nd roll doesn't matter and you have 6+6=12 out of the 36. if the second roll is 1 then there would be (6+6+6)-2 =14 out of the 36 possible.But then we have to write a proof and we are not sure. We were thinking like a+bx where a = first roll b= 2nd roll and x = term of the sequence. and then find a way to prove it's a perfect square but none of use know much about these properties. We also tried taking that approach of listing the different possible combinations for the other problems but it doesn't really work well. for 5 we figure out a few random facts like MN =6 but don't really know how to move on from there. So if u can help me with some of the concept it would be great.

Related to Can Anyone Solve These Challenging Math Problems?

What does "I need some help with some problems" mean?

"I need some help with some problems" is a statement that indicates that the person is seeking assistance with an issue or challenge that they are facing. It could refer to a variety of problems, such as personal, academic, or professional.

How can I provide help to someone who says "I need some help with some problems"?

If someone says "I need some help with some problems", the best way to provide assistance is to ask them to clarify the specific problems they are facing. This will help you better understand their needs and provide more targeted help. You can also offer your support and ask how you can best help them.

What should I do if I am the one saying "I need some help with some problems"?

If you find yourself saying "I need some help with some problems", the first step is to identify and define the specific problems you are facing. This will help you communicate your needs more clearly to others and seek the right kind of help. You can also reach out to trusted friends, family, or professionals for support.

What are some common problems that people need help with?

Some common problems that people may need help with include personal issues such as mental health, relationships, and financial struggles. Academic problems such as difficulty with a particular subject or assignment may also require assistance. Professional problems could include challenges at work or career-related issues.

What are some ways to overcome problems and become more self-sufficient?

To overcome problems and become more self-sufficient, it is important to develop problem-solving skills and resilience. This can involve seeking help and support when needed, setting achievable goals, and actively working towards solutions. It can also be helpful to seek personal growth and development through learning new skills and practicing self-care.