I need some help with pendulum experiment

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a pendulum experiment and finding the acceleration due to gravity and a constant using a given equation. The student also needed assistance with a question involving temperature change and heat transfer. The expert provided advice on rearranging equations and using creative graphing techniques to solve for the unknown variables.
dan greig
I need some help!

i have two things I'm stuck on and i really can't get my head around them.

i have done a pendulum experiment using a 1m rule hung over a point using an inverted v shaped piece of string, i have calculated the period and have been given this equation to relate period T to perpendicular height h,

T^2.h=4pi^2/g(h^2 + k^2)

k is a constant and g is acceleration of free fall.

i need to draw a suitable graph to find g and k

The other question is,

ice of temp -10 celsius is dropped into a glass of water at temp 20 cesius, what is the temperature eventually?

i have the respective heat capacities and the latent heat of ice, i also know i have to use Q=mc delta t from -10 to 0. i think i have to use Q=ml after that but i don't know how they relate and if i have to goback to the original equation after 0 celsius?

please please help i just don't seem to be getting anywhere, thanks, Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for a simple pendulum period is [tex] T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{h}{g}} [/tex].

You want to re-arrange this so that you've got something like
[tex] T^2 = g\cdot k \cdot h [/tex]
This will allow you to plot the square of the time period against height, where [itex] kg [/itex]gives the gradient. [itex]k[/itex] can be defined using the equation and [itex]g[/itex] can be found by dividing the gradient by [itex]k[/itex]

thanks, that's really helpfull. Any idea about the other question?

no matter how hard i try i can't rearrange the given equation to make
T^2 = g.k.h although it makes sense and works out correctly!

Also how would i find k using a T^2/h graph?

dan greig said:
i have two things I'm stuck on and i really can't get my head around them.

i have done a pendulum experiment using a 1m rule hung over a point using an inverted v shaped piece of string, i have calculated the period and have been given this equation to relate period T to perpendicular height h,

T^2.h=4pi^2/g(h^2 + k^2)

k is a constant and g is acceleration of free fall.

i need to draw a suitable graph to find g and k

The other question is,

ice of temp -10 celsius is dropped into a glass of water at temp 20 cesius, what is the temperature eventually?

i have the respective heat capacities and the latent heat of ice, i also know i have to use Q=mc delta t from -10 to 0. i think i have to use Q=ml after that but i don't know how they relate and if i have to goback to the original equation after 0 celsius?

please please help i just don't seem to be getting anywhere, thanks, Dan.

You've got data for T and h and need to find a way to graph to get g and k. Here's some creative graphing logic for you. You've got data for T and h, so they have to be your x and y variables somehow. So solve for h^2:
[tex]h^2=\frac{4 \pi^2}{g} * \frac{1}{T^2} - k^2 [/tex]
How does this help? Set your y variable equal to h^2 and your x variable to 1/T^2. That means whatever slope you get from your linear regression you can equate to [tex]4 \pi^2/g[/tex]. Likewise the intercept you will get you can equate to [tex]-k^2[/tex].

-Dan

Related to I need some help with pendulum experiment

1. What is a pendulum experiment?

A pendulum experiment is a scientific investigation that involves studying the motion and behavior of a pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a fixed point that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity.

2. How do I set up a pendulum experiment?

To set up a pendulum experiment, you will need a string or rod, a weight, and a fixed point to hang the weight from. Attach the string or rod to the weight and hang it from the fixed point. Make sure the pendulum has enough room to swing without hitting anything.

3. What are the variables in a pendulum experiment?

The variables in a pendulum experiment include the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These variables can affect the period, or the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, and the amplitude, or the maximum distance the pendulum swings from its starting point.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion?

The length of the pendulum affects its motion by changing the period of the pendulum. As the length increases, the period also increases, meaning it takes longer for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This is because a longer pendulum has a longer distance to cover, resulting in a slower swing.

5. What are some possible sources of error in a pendulum experiment?

Some possible sources of error in a pendulum experiment include air resistance, friction in the pivot point, and human error in timing the swings. To minimize these errors, you can conduct the experiment in a vacuum, use a low friction pivot point, and use a stopwatch or a motion sensor to measure the swings.