I need some help understanding a problem regarding Friction Force.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem regarding friction force and a scenario involving a skateboard and walking along its length. The correct answer is that the skateboard would start moving in the opposite direction due to the backward force exerted by the person walking. This is because of Newton's Third Law of Motion. The person asking the question also mentions another question they have on the same topic.
patowlmc

Homework Statement

This problem is regarding Friction Force:

Imagine a skateboard, low and with well-oiled bearings. What would happen if, standing over it at rest, you begin to walk along its length?

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 4 options. I chose this one:
It would start moving in the opposite direction.

The book says it's the correct Answer, but I'm not quite sure why that is.

Is it because the Static friction coefficient is bigger than the force I exert on the skateboard by walking?

P.D. Would it be against the rules if I post a new question, about the same topic in this same thread, once I get the last one answered?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
its not that its because action reaction.when you walk forward you exert a backward force on the skateboard which moves you forward and the backward force exerted by you moves the skateboard backward

Wow! Thanks, It seems a little more logical hehe :P

And it makes sense, since I'm studying Newton's 3 laws of motion. Thanks :)

welcome!if possible you can head for my question

Last edited:
You mean this question: "CHALLENGING pHYSICS questions(dedicated for lover's of physics)" 'Cause if so, I'm totally trying to solve that one, right after my Physics exam on Friday (Today :D )

It seems interesting, mainly because I'll have to read some old stuff, as well as some new stuff to even attempt to solve it.

Bye! See you around :)

Related to I need some help understanding a problem regarding Friction Force.

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and attempt to slide or move against each other.

2. Why is friction force important?

Friction force is important because it helps objects to stay in place and prevents them from slipping or sliding. It also allows us to walk and move on different surfaces without slipping.

3. How is friction force calculated?

Friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (which depends on the materials in contact) by the normal force (the force pressing the surfaces together).

4. What factors affect friction force?

The factors that affect friction force include the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight or normal force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of materials in contact.

5. How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces, or by reducing the normal force. In some cases, friction force can also be reduced by changing the type of materials in contact.