I need some freakin help with this half-life problem

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, the uncoiling of DNA is a first order process with an activation energy of 430 kJ/mole. At 60oC, the half-life is estimated to be 2 minutes. The rate law for this reaction can be written as k = Ae^(-Ea/RT), where k is the rate constant, A is a constant called the pre-exponential factor, Ea is the activation energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.b. Using the given information, the half-life at normal body temperature of 37 oC can be calculated by plugging in the new temperature into the rate law equation and solving for t1/2. This results in a half-life of
afcwestwarrior
The uncoiling of DNA is a first order process with an activation energy of 430 kJ/mole. At 60oC, the half-life is estimated to be 2 minutes.
a. Write a chemical equation that represents this reaction. Then, write the rate law for this reaction.
b. Calculate the half-life at normal body temperature, 37 oC.
c. What is the chemical force that holds the DNA in its coiled state? Is the uncoiling of DNA favored by enthalpy or entropy or both? Give reasons.
d. Is the uncoiling of DNA spontaneous at 37 oC? Give reasons.
e. Draw a reaction energy diagram for the uncoiling of DNA.

here are some simple directions, b is the probelm I am doing,
i got some formulas but i don't know which one ill use, I am just confused with this, may u give me a hint or some information so i can figure this problem out, ill work and the problem and post it up in a bit

Physics news on Phys.org
what equation shall i use, .693/k or 1/k[A] with a little o at the bottom right

ok i am suuppost to use the .693/k since this reaction is a first order reaction

here's what i figured out, k = A e-Ea/RT

so i took the half life equation .693/k and changed it to .693/Ae -Ea/RT

i plugged in my numbers which were .693/ Ae -430kj/mole / (8.1314 J / mole. K) ( 310 K)

i think I am doing it right but how do i figure out Ae

or what is Ae

ok what is A because e is apart of the -Ea/RT

Related to I need some freakin help with this half-life problem

1. What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or undergo a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the rate of decay for radioactive substances.

2. How do I solve a half-life problem?

To solve a half-life problem, you need to know the initial amount of the substance, the half-life of the substance, and the amount of time that has passed. Then, you can use the formula Nt = No * (1/2)^(t/t1/2) to calculate the remaining amount of the substance after a specific time interval.

3. Can you provide an example of a half-life problem?

Sure, let's say we have 100 grams of a radioactive substance with a half-life of 10 days. After 20 days, how much of the substance will remain? Using the formula Nt = No * (1/2)^(t/t1/2), we can plug in the values and calculate the remaining amount: N20 = 100 * (1/2)^(20/10) = 100 * (1/2)^2 = 100 * 1/4 = 25 grams.

4. What factors can affect a half-life?

The half-life of a substance can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances that can interact with the radioactive material. The chemical properties of the substance and its atomic structure can also play a role in determining the half-life.

5. Why is half-life important in science?

Half-life is important in various scientific fields, including nuclear physics, chemistry, and medicine. It allows us to accurately measure the rate of decay of radioactive substances, which can be used in many practical applications such as determining the age of fossils, dating archaeological artifacts, and treating diseases with radioactive materials.