I need advice on material to self-study physics (oscillations and waves)

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of a physics class focused on oscillations and waves, with the textbook being condensed and not providing enough explanation. The speaker asked for recommendations on other resources to help them understand the material. One person recommended the book "Waves" by Crawford, which was used in their own physics class and found to be helpful despite initially not liking it.
redsamme
I am currently in my second year of a bachelor of science with a major in physics. The class I am taking is notorious for being hard and the professor is very hard to understand (understanding the material, not what she's saying).

The class is all about oscillations and waves. The textbook is AP French, Vibrations and Waves, however it is very condensed and I have a hard time learning the material as they don't explain a lot of what they do. I'm having a hard time in the class and I was just wondering what textbooks/other resources people found useful when learning these topics? We're currently working on dampened harmonic motion, driven oscillations, coupled oscillators, etc.

If this is the wrong thread I apologize. Thanks so much for any help, if any additional information is needed please ask :(

Physics news on Phys.org
My second semester sophomore year physics honor used the book "Waves", chapter 3 of the Berkeley series. by Crawford. We all loved the first sentence in the first chapter of the book. The sentence reads : The world is full of things that move. Well it certainly begins simple enough. I remember I did not particularly like the book, but I did learn a lot about waves. I also remember the checkout girl at the counter when I bought the textbook looked at the "water" wave on the front cover and said, : Cany you take a whole (semester) course on waves. From the front cover, she must have though I was a surfer boy, shooting the tube.
I do have French's book and I think I do like Crawford's Waves better., but it is still difficult material.

Related to I need advice on material to self-study physics (oscillations and waves)

What is the best way to self-study physics?

The best way to self-study physics, particularly oscillations and waves, is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This can include reading textbooks, watching educational videos, and practicing problems. It is important to also seek out additional resources, such as online forums or study groups, for clarification and support.

What materials do I need to self-study physics?

To self-study physics, you will need a textbook or online resources that cover the topics of oscillations and waves. It may also be helpful to have a notebook and pen to take notes and work through practice problems. Additionally, access to a calculator and other basic physics tools, such as a ruler or protractor, can be beneficial.

How can I effectively learn about oscillations and waves?

To effectively learn about oscillations and waves, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles. This can be achieved by regularly practicing problems and actively engaging with the material. It may also be helpful to create visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to better understand the concepts.

What are some helpful tips for self-studying physics?

Some helpful tips for self-studying physics, specifically oscillations and waves, include breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, seeking out additional resources for clarification and practice, and regularly reviewing and reinforcing concepts. It is also important to stay motivated and persistent, as self-studying can be challenging at times.

How can I assess my progress while self-studying physics?

To assess your progress while self-studying physics, it is important to regularly test yourself with practice problems and quizzes. You can also track your understanding by keeping a study journal or reflecting on your understanding of the material. Seeking feedback from others, such as a teacher or tutor, can also be beneficial in assessing your progress.