I need a fresh critique of this 4 hour proof from another post

• Thread starter tempneff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the problem involves calculating the time taken for a spacecraft with a solar sail to travel from 1.2 AU to 3.54 AU, given its shape and size, and the force of radiation pressure at these distances. The solution involves integrating with respect to time and using consistent units throughout the calculation.
tempneff

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
A motionless spacecraft powered by a “solar sail” at a distance of 1.20 AU
from the sun has a perfectly reflective sheet of lightweight material that allows the spacecraft to accelerate by using the radiation pressure from the sun. If a certain sail is in the shape of a square of side 800 m, its velocity is 38.5 km/s when it reached a distance of 3.50 AU from the sun. The Force at 1.2 AU is 4.18 N and at 3.54 AU is 0.492.
Answer range: 3.0 to 3.4 years

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay this is the function I have for velocity and I think I have the integration...

Change in energy=Work due to gravity (GMm/radius) + work due to radiation pressure(I'll call it p/radius)

[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2=\frac{GMm}{r_2}-\frac{GMm}{r_1}+\frac{p}{r_2}-\frac{p}{r_1}[/tex]
factor..
[tex]\frac{1}{2}v^2=\bigg( \frac{p}{m}-GM\bigg) \bigg( \frac{1}{r_1}-\frac{1}{r_2} \bigg)[/tex]
so
[tex]v=\sqrt{2\bigg( \frac{p}{m}-GM\bigg) \bigg( \frac{1}{r_1}-\frac{1}{r_2} \bigg)}[/tex]
Let
[tex]2\bigg( \frac{p}{m}-GM\bigg)=b[/tex]
so
[tex]v=\sqrt{b \bigg( \frac{1}{r_1}-\frac{1}{r_2} \bigg)}[/tex]
or
[tex]v=\sqrt{b \bigg( \frac{r_2-r_1}{r_1r_2} \bigg)}[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{1}{v}=\sqrt{\frac{r_1r_2}{b(r_2-r_1)}}[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]
and
[tex]dt=\frac{dr}{v}[/tex]
then
[tex]t=\int \frac{1}{v}dr[/tex]
and...
[tex]t=\int \sqrt{ \bigg( \frac{r_1r_2} {b(r_2-r_1)}\bigg)}dr[/tex]

I think so...then for easier typing let $r_1=a$ and $r_2=x$
[tex]t=\int \sqrt{\bigg( \frac{ax} {b(x-a)}\bigg)}dx[/tex]
now if we let
[tex]x=a\sec^2 \theta[/tex]then[tex]dx=2a\sec^2 \theta \tan \theta d \theta[/tex]
and[tex]t=\frac{1}{\sqrt{b}}\int \sqrt{\frac{a^2 \sec^2 \theta}{a \sec^2 \theta - a}}2a \sec^2 \theta \tan \theta d \theta[/tex]
[tex]t=\frac{1}{\sqrt{b}}\int \sqrt{\frac{a^2 \sec^2 \theta}{a \tan^2 \theta}}2a \sec^2 \theta \tan \theta d \theta[/tex]
[tex]t=\frac{1}{\sqrt{b}}\int \frac{a\sec \theta}{\sqrt{a} \tan \theta}2a \sec^2 \theta \tan \theta d \theta[/tex]
[tex]t=\frac{2a^2}{\sqrt{ab}}\int \sec^3 \theta d \theta[/tex]
By integral table
[tex]\int sec^3 \theta d \theta = \frac{1}{2} \bigg( \sec \theta \tan \theta +\ln |\sec \theta + \tan \theta| \bigg)+C[/tex]
If [tex]x=a \sec^2 \theta[/tex]
then[tex]\sec \theta = \sqrt{\frac{x}{a}}[/tex]
and
[tex]\tan \theta = \sqrt{x-a}[/tex]
so
[tex]t=\frac{a^2}{\sqrt{ab}}\bigg( \sqrt{\frac{x(x-a)}{a}}+\ln \bigg|\sqrt{\frac{x}{a}}+\sqrt{x-a}\bigg| \bigg) +C[/tex]

...that's it. But I'm not sure about the limits though. AU or meters...?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting this interesting problem! I would like to offer some suggestions and corrections to your solution attempt.

Firstly, it is important to note that the force of radiation pressure on the spacecraft is dependent on the shape and size of the solar sail, as well as the intensity of sunlight at the given distance from the sun. Therefore, the value of p in your equation should be specified in terms of these parameters.

Secondly, it seems that you have mixed up some of the variables in your solution. The distance from the sun at which the force is given (1.2 AU and 3.54 AU) should correspond to the values of r1 and r2 in your equation. Additionally, the velocity at a given distance should correspond to the value of v in your equation, not the change in energy.

Furthermore, your integration should be done in terms of time (t), not distance. This is because the problem asks for the time taken for the spacecraft to travel from 1.2 AU to 3.54 AU, not the distance traveled. Therefore, your limits of integration should be in terms of time (t), and the integral should be evaluated with respect to time, not distance.

Finally, the units of your final answer should be years, as specified in the problem. Therefore, you should make sure to use consistent units throughout your solution, whether it be meters, AU, or other units.

I hope this helps in your solution attempt. Good luck!

Related to I need a fresh critique of this 4 hour proof from another post

1. What is the purpose of getting a fresh critique of a 4 hour proof?

The purpose of getting a fresh critique of a 4 hour proof is to gain new perspectives and insights from other scientists in order to improve the validity and accuracy of the proof. It may also help identify any potential errors or flaws in the proof that were not previously noticed by the original scientist.

2. How can a fresh critique help improve the 4 hour proof?

A fresh critique can help improve the 4 hour proof by providing alternative interpretations or approaches to the problem, identifying any logical or mathematical errors, and offering suggestions for further experimentation or analysis. It can also help identify any weaknesses or limitations in the proof and provide recommendations for improvement.

3. Is it necessary to get a fresh critique of a 4 hour proof?

While it is not always necessary, getting a fresh critique of a 4 hour proof can be extremely beneficial in the scientific process. It allows for a more thorough and comprehensive analysis of the proof, and can lead to new discoveries or advancements in the field.

4. How should the original scientist approach receiving a fresh critique of their 4 hour proof?

The original scientist should approach receiving a fresh critique with an open mind and a willingness to consider different perspectives and ideas. They should also be receptive to constructive criticism and use it as an opportunity to improve their proof.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to getting a fresh critique of a 4 hour proof?

One potential drawback of getting a fresh critique is that it may delay the process of publishing or presenting the proof, as it may require additional revisions or experiments. Additionally, the critique may not always be helpful or accurate, so the original scientist should carefully consider the feedback and make their own judgement on whether to incorporate it into their proof.