What do people mean when they mention Ring0,ring1

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "Ring0, ring1..." and the possible interpretations of this phrase. It could refer to token ring in a Unix operating system, protected mode privileges in an x86 processor, or the names of the Beatles' drummers. The conversation concludes with the request for further information about the origin of this phrase.
Pattielli
What do people mean when they mention Ring0,ring1...?
I don't know what they are...
Please help me ,
Thanks a lot

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is right but I suspect it means token ring. In a unix based operating system the cards would be labeled in /dev as ring0, ring1, etc. Here is more information:

http://www.datacottage.com/nch/troperation.htm

It might also refer to the Protected Mode privileges in an x86 processor.

http://my.execpc.com/~geezer/os/pm.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot,

Could it be the sounds of your telephone ringing? Just kidding...
I have not idea, it would be interesting to actually find out what it means exactly. FUN

Ring0 was the Beatles drummer. He actually died quite early in their career, and they replaced him with clones - Ring1, Ring2, Ring3...

killerinstinct said:
Could it be the sounds of your telephone ringing? Just kidding...
I have not idea, it would be interesting to actually find out what it means exactly. FUN
Thanks,
Both of the links above are what I am looking for...

I wonder you heard this from. Ring0, Ring1, Ring2?
Associated with Beatles?

Everywhere, from many people!

What is Ring0 and Ring1?

Ring0 and Ring1 refer to two of the four privilege levels in a computer's operating system. These privilege levels are used to control access to the system's resources, with Ring0 being the highest level of privilege and Ring1 being the next level below.

Why are Ring0 and Ring1 important?

Ring0 and Ring1 are important because they determine what types of operations and instructions can be performed by different parts of the computer's operating system. Higher privilege levels, such as Ring0, have access to and control over more critical system resources, while lower privilege levels, such as Ring1, have more limited access.

How do Ring0 and Ring1 relate to security?

Ring0 and Ring1 are closely related to security, as they play a crucial role in protecting a computer's resources from unauthorized access. By limiting access to certain system resources based on privilege levels, Ring0 and Ring1 help prevent malicious software or users from causing harm to the system.

What are some examples of operations that can be performed at Ring0 and Ring1?

At Ring0, the operating system can perform critical functions such as memory management, interrupt handling, and system calls. At Ring1, the operating system can perform tasks such as device drivers and input/output operations.

Can Ring0 and Ring1 be changed or modified?

No, Ring0 and Ring1 are fixed privilege levels that are determined by the computer's hardware. However, some operating systems may allow for the creation of additional privilege levels, such as Ring2 or Ring3, for specific purposes.