I need a formula for bouncing balls

In summary, the student attempted to find an equation that could calculate the bounce height of an object, but was unsuccessful. He graphed the data and found that the slope of the line represented accurately the "bounce ratio" (also equal to, the ratio of potential energy from one bounce to the next - see voko comment).
steven1495

Homework Statement

I dropped a ball from different heights, and got height they bounced up to, but I need a formula for it.

Data
Gravity = 9.800 m/s2

[Initial Height(cm)]----------[Bounced Height(cm)]
100.0---------------------------81.00
90.00---------------------------75.00
80.00---------------------------67.00
70.00---------------------------59.00
60.00---------------------------50.00
50.00---------------------------41.00
40.00---------------------------34.00
30.00---------------------------26.00
20.00---------------------------17.00
10.00---------------------------9.000
0-------------------------------0

Homework Equations

I need a formula that can calculate the bounce height of this

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the percentage of the bounce height and it averages at about 83% of the height dropped from. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to find an empirical formula for your measurements?

I'm not sure, my teacher was pretty vague about it. I guess just an equation that you can use to calculate the bouncing of an object

There is no such equation. An ideal ball in ideal conditions must bounce to exactly the height it was dropped from. But it loses energy because its collision with the ground is not completely elastic and because there is air resistance. Accounting for these losses is a very tricky matter, they depends significantly on the material of ball and its size.

So I think you should just assume that the ball loses some fixed percentage of energy. And you should find the best fit for the coefficient of the loss from your measurements.

Try plotting the data on a graph and see what you get. Seeing what is happening visually is a very effective way of examining experimental results. If your graphics package has a curve fitting option, have the package fit a straight line to the data. You will find that the slope of the line represents very accurately the "bounce ratio" (also equal to, the ratio of potential energy from one bounce to the next - see voko comment). It will also agree with the average bounce ratio you determined by averaging the values from all the cases.

Related to I need a formula for bouncing balls

What is the formula for calculating the bounce height of a ball?

The formula for calculating the bounce height of a ball is: H = (e * H0), where H is the bounce height, e is the coefficient of restitution, and H0 is the initial height from which the ball is dropped.

What is the coefficient of restitution for a bouncing ball?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a ball, and it is represented by the symbol e. It ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 being a perfectly elastic collision and 0 being a completely inelastic collision.

How do I calculate the initial height of a bouncing ball?

In order to calculate the initial height of a bouncing ball, you will need to know the final bounce height, the coefficient of restitution, and the number of bounces. You can then use the formula H0 = (H / (e ^ n)), where H0 is the initial height, H is the final bounce height, e is the coefficient of restitution, and n is the number of bounces.

What factors affect the bounce height of a ball?

The bounce height of a ball can be affected by several factors, including the material of the ball, the surface it is bouncing on, the angle at which it is dropped, and the force with which it is dropped. The coefficient of restitution also plays a significant role in determining the bounce height.

Can the formula for bouncing balls be applied to all types of balls?

Yes, the formula for bouncing balls can be applied to all types of balls as long as the coefficient of restitution remains constant. However, the results may vary slightly due to differences in the materials and shapes of the balls.