I must have missed this lecture

• Thread starter monet A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lecture
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical model of bacterial growth over a short period of time. The model, n=10^10(xsin2x+tan^4x^7)^3, is being tested with numerical data and is shown to be a good fit. The question is then posed to determine the rate of bacterial growth after 3 minutes, which can be found by calculating the derivative of the function with respect to time.
monet A
I have a question here that I do not understand completely.
The Growth of virulent bacteria is modeled over a short period of time by a very ambitious mathematical modeller as n=
[tex] 10^{10} (x sin2x + tan^4 x^7)^3 [/tex]
where x is measured in hours from x=.02 --> x= .1 from 12 noon.

The researcher observes that 1 minute and 12 seconds after noon n = 5 by three minutes after 12 noon n = ca 1250 and by 6 mins after noon the n = ca 78415. Show the model as proposed is a good fit for the numerical data. Determine the rate of Bacterial growth after 3 minutes.

I am not sure what I am being asked to do here. Am I just plugging in x values for the first half of the question or am I being asked to make a more complex analysis of the function between the said points. And for the second part of the question I presume that n (6) = 78415 is not a good fit for the function, but where shall I start to find a function that does fit, I am not sure of the method I should be employing here, I must have missed the lecture. Please help :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is just calculating the values for n at three values for x. They all fit reasonabley well. You do not need to look for a new function. What you need to do is use the given function to determine the RATE of change of n at 3 minutes. How do you find the rate of change of a function of time?

That would be parametric differentiation yes?
Thankyou Dan for your help again.
:biggrin:

monet A said:
That would be parametric differentiation yes?
Thankyou Dan for your help again.
:biggrin:

I'm not sure where you are seeing anything parametric. x is time and you have a function of x, n(x). The rate of change of the function with respect to time is the derivative with respect to x, dn/dx.

Related to I must have missed this lecture

What do you mean by "I must have missed this lecture"?

When someone says "I must have missed this lecture," they are acknowledging that they did not attend a specific lecture or were not paying attention during it.

Why would someone miss a lecture?

There are many reasons why someone may miss a lecture, such as illness, scheduling conflicts, or personal reasons. It is important to communicate with your professor if you are going to miss a lecture to make arrangements for catching up on the material.

What should I do if I missed a lecture?

If you missed a lecture, the first thing you should do is reach out to your professor or a classmate to get notes or materials from the lecture. You should also review the missed material on your own and attend office hours if needed for clarification.

Will missing a lecture affect my grade?

It depends on the policies of your class and professor. Some classes may have participation or attendance grades, while others may not. However, consistently missing lectures can impact your understanding of the material and may result in a lower grade.

How can I avoid missing lectures in the future?

To avoid missing lectures in the future, make sure to prioritize attending class, communicate with your professor if you have a conflict, and make a habit of reviewing lecture material regularly. You can also reach out to your professor for any missed notes or materials and attend office hours for extra help if needed.