I just wanna check my work on this problem

In summary, the conversation is about a ball that has a rebounding property when dropped from a certain height onto a hard surface. The problem asks to find the total distance and time the ball travels under different conditions. The solution involves using infinite geometric series and the formula for time it takes to fall from a height. The final part of the conversation discusses a potential mistake in the solution.
DivGradCurl
[tex] \textrm{Hello, folks. I just want to check my work on this problem. Thanks.} [/tex] :cool:

[tex] \textrm{A certain ball has the property that each time it falls from a height} [/tex] [tex] h [/tex] [tex] \textrm{onto a hard, level surface, it rebounds to a height}[/tex] [tex] rh [/tex] [tex]\textrm{, where}[/tex] [tex]0<r<1[/tex]. [tex] \textrm{Suppose that the ball is dropped from an initial height of}[/tex] [tex] H [/tex] [tex] \textrm{meters.} [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{(a) Assuming that the ball continues to bounce indefinitely, find the total distance that
it travels.} [/tex]

[tex] H + 2rH + 2r^{2}H + 2r^{3}H + \cdots = H + 2H \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \left( r \right) r^{n-1} = H + 2H \left( \frac{r}{1-r} \right) = H \left( \frac{1+r}{1-r} \right) [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{(b) Calculate the total time that the ball travels.} [/tex]

[tex] t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + \sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} + \sqrt{\frac{2r^2H}{g}} + \sqrt{\frac{2r^3 H}{g}} + \cdots [/tex]

[tex] t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + \sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} \left( 1 + \sqrt{r} + \sqrt{r^2} + \sqrt{r^3} + \cdots \right) [/tex]

[tex] t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + \sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} \left( \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{r}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{(c) Suppose that that each time the ball strikes the surface with velocity}[/tex] [tex]v[/tex] [tex]\textrm{it rebounds with velocity}[/tex] [tex] -kv [/tex][tex] \textrm{, where}[/tex] [tex] 0<k<1 [/tex]. [tex] \textrm{How long will it take for the ball to come
to rest?} [/tex]

[tex] v_{\textrm{REST}} = v + kv + k^2 v + k^3 v + \cdots [/tex]

[tex] v_{\textrm{REST}} = v + \sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} \left( k v \right) k^{n-1} [/tex]

[tex] v_{\textrm{REST}} = v + \left( \frac{kv}{1-k} \right) [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{If } K=U, \textrm{we find} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv_{\textrm{REST}} ^2= mgH [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}m\left[ v^2 + 2v^2 \left( \frac{k}{1-k} \right) + v^2 \left( \frac{k}{1-k} \right)^2 \right] = mgH [/tex]

[tex] H = \frac{1}{2g}\left[ v^2 + 2v^2 \left( \frac{k}{1-k} \right) + v^2 \left( \frac{k}{1-k} \right)^2 \right] [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{which gives} [/tex]

[tex] t_{\textrm{REST}} = - \frac{2\left| \frac{v}{g\left( k-1 \right)} \right|}{\sqrt{r}-1} - \left| \frac{v}{g\left( k-1 \right)} \right| [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
At b)
The time it takes to fall from a height h is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex], so the time it takes to rebound to a height h and fall down to the ground again is twice as long.

[tex]t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2r^2H}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2r^3 H}{g}} + \cdots [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{Yes, indeed. I should have written}[/tex]

[tex]t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2r^2H}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2r^3 H}{g}} + \cdots [/tex]

[tex] t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} \left( 1 + \sqrt{r} + \sqrt{r^2} + \sqrt{r^3} + \cdots \right) [/tex]

[tex] t_{\textrm{TOTAL}} = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}} + 2\sqrt{\frac{2rH}{g}} \left( \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{r}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] \textrm{Thanks.}[/tex]

Guys, I'm not so sure about what I found for part (c). Did I get it right?

Thank you.​

Admin note: It is preferable to keep the text parts of your posts in plain text, and use LaTeX only to render pieces of math notation.

- Warren

Related to I just wanna check my work on this problem

1. How can I check my work on a problem?

One way to check your work on a problem is to go through the steps you took to solve it and make sure they are correct. Another way is to plug your answer back into the problem to see if it makes sense.

2. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking work?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking work include incorrect calculations, missing negative signs, and forgetting to simplify fractions or radicals.

3. Should I check my work as I go or wait until the end?

It's generally a good idea to check your work as you go, especially for longer or more complex problems. This can help catch mistakes early on and prevent them from snowballing.

4. Is it important to show my work when checking a problem?

Yes, it's important to show your work when checking a problem because it allows you to see exactly where you made a mistake if your answer is incorrect. It also helps others, such as a teacher or tutor, understand your thought process and provide feedback.

5. What should I do if I can't figure out where I went wrong in a problem?

If you can't figure out where you went wrong in a problem, try working through it again step by step or asking for help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor. It may also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.