I have two sets of deterministic numbers, collected in the two

In summary, the speaker wants to test a stochastic version of their deterministic theory by setting up a hypothesis test and comparing the probability distributions of the two sets of data, x and y. However, they realize that they need more information, such as a specific probability model, to properly conduct the test.
PAHV
I have two sets of deterministic numbers, collected in the two vectors: x=[x(1),...,x(n)] and y=[y(1),...,y(n)]. My (determinstic) theory says that x(i)=y(i) for all i=1,...,n. But instead, I want to assume that the numbers x and y are stochastic. If we let f(.) be a pdf, does this mean that I can test a stochastic version of my theory by setting up a hypothesis test H0: f(x)=f(y) vs. H1: Not H0? That is, is it true that x=y <=> f(x)=f(y) if f is a pdf?

Physics news on Phys.org

PAHV said:
I want to assume that the numbers x and y are stochastic. If we let f(.) be a pdf

To do a hypothesis test, you must assume enough information in the hypothesis H0 to be able to compute the probability that the observed data happened. Your statements that "x and y are stochastic" and that we let "f(.) be a pdf" are not sufficient to describe a specific probability model for the data. Think of trying to write a stochastic simulation for the data. What you have said isn't sufficient information to give to a programmer who is supposed to write the simulation. Can you describe how you would simulate the data in a computer program?

Related to I have two sets of deterministic numbers, collected in the two

What are deterministic numbers?

Deterministic numbers are numbers that have a predictable outcome or value based on a specific set of conditions or parameters. They are not random and will always produce the same result when given the same inputs.

What is the significance of having two sets of deterministic numbers?

Having two sets of deterministic numbers allows for comparison and analysis between the two sets. It can provide insights into patterns, relationships, and differences between the two sets.

How were the two sets of deterministic numbers collected?

The two sets of deterministic numbers were most likely collected through a scientific experiment or study. The method of collection will depend on the specific research question and can vary greatly.

Can deterministic numbers be used to make predictions?

Yes, deterministic numbers can be used to make predictions, as their values are based on known conditions and will always produce the same result. However, the accuracy of the predictions will depend on the quality and relevance of the data used to generate the numbers.

Are deterministic numbers limited to a specific field of study?

No, deterministic numbers can be used in various fields of study, including mathematics, physics, biology, and more. They are a fundamental concept in science and can be applied in many different ways depending on the research question.