I have two question about Geometric Progressions

• Thread starter MrNeWBiE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary, the first problem involves evaluating the product of three exponential terms, with a geometric progression pattern. For the second problem, the hint suggests writing the repeating decimal as a sum of a geometric progression and then using that to find the fraction form of the decimal.
MrNeWBiE

Homework Statement

1. Evaluate 4^1/3 . 4^-1/9 . 4^1/27

2. express 0.85555 ... as a farction . ( hint: write 0.85555= 0.8+0.05(1+0.1+0.01+...))

The Attempt at a Solution

1. well in this question i think the " r " is in the power ,,, and it's -1/3
but how to complete it ,,, what is the story ?
the only think I know is the answer : √(2)

2.can anyone helps me and tell me what is needed in this question ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MrNeWBiE said:

Homework Statement

1. Evaluate 4^1/3 . 4^-1/9 . 4^1/27
If this is the problem, √2 makes no sense as an answer. Is this the problem exactly as written in your book? This doesn't have anything to do with geometric progression.
MrNeWBiE said:
2. express 0.85555 ... as a farction . ( hint: write 0.85555= 0.8+0.05(1+0.1+0.01+...))

The Attempt at a Solution

1. well in this question i think the " r " is in the power ,,, and it's -1/3
but how to complete it ,,, what is the story ?
the only think I know is the answer : √(2)

2.can anyone helps me and tell me what is needed in this question ?

Use the hint to find the sum of 1 + .1 + .01 + ... This is a geometric progression with common ratio r = .1. When you get the sum of this progression, multiply by .05 and then add that to .8.

well this is what in my book
1. Evaluate 4^1/3 . 4^-1/9 . 4^1/27 ... " i 4get to add the ... "

i think there is something missing in my book maybe ,,,, well i will try to solve the 2nd with your method

For the first one I see now where the geometric progression comes in. Let's look at the partial products.

P1 = 41/3
P2 = 41/3*4-1/9 = 41/3 - 1/9 = ?
P3 = 41/3*4-1/9*41/27 = ?

Fill in where the two question marks are above, and continue finding more partial products, following the pattern that I started.

Hint: ap*aq = ap + q.

aha,,,
okey thanks a lot

Related to I have two question about Geometric Progressions

1. What is a geometric progression?

A geometric progression (also known as a geometric sequence) is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number called the common ratio. The general form of a geometric progression is a, ar, ar2, ar3, ... where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric progression?

The sum of a geometric progression can be found using the formula Sn = a(1 - rn)/(1 - r) where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric progression?

The nth term of a geometric progression can be found using the formula an = a x rn-1 where n is the term number, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

4. How do you determine if a sequence is a geometric progression?

A sequence is a geometric progression if there is a constant ratio between each term. This means that dividing any term by the previous term will result in the same value. Additionally, the sequence should have a clear pattern of multiplying by the same number to get from one term to the next.

5. Can a geometric progression have negative terms?

Yes, a geometric progression can have negative terms. The only requirement for a sequence to be considered a geometric progression is that there is a constant ratio between each term. This ratio can be positive or negative, as long as it is consistent throughout the sequence.