I have to transform some machine for use them in United state

In summary, the conversation discusses adapting an industrial machine from France to the USA, specifically regarding voltage, frequency, wiring, and color coding. The speaker offers advice on using 230 volts for a 240 volt rated machine, potential issues with changing frequency, and suggests looking at NEMA standards for further guidance. They also provide information on wire colors for different voltage and phase systems, and mention that low voltage wires are usually differentiated by using smaller gauge wires.
Fred033
Hi,

First, I would like to ask for your apologize for my very bad english...

My name is Frédéric Serrano, I'm a technician and I'm starting my own business.
For a new contract my customer ask me to adapt his industrial machine for the USA.
So I have to comeback to the basic rule.

Here in France we use 230V 50hz. I know the in USA you have 110V 60hz.
about the "neutral regime" (not sure of the translation), we use TT, what do you use in USA?
Where can I find the abacus for the diameter of cable like this :
http://www.volta-electricite.info/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=605
http://www.volta-electricite.info/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=603
what the normalization for the color of the conductor? power L1 L2 L3 N and command 0V 24V
I will have more questions, is there someone who can help me?Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No one seems to have any answers to your questions, so I will do my best.
Industry in the USA usually has 240 volt, so 230 volt rated should be OK.
Going from 50 hertz to 60 hertz changes the speed of motors. Is this a problem?
The answer for the color code for wires should be on the www somewhere. There weren't any standards for signal or low power wires years ago. Green was usually ground except for a few industries where it was something else.
If there is only one machine you can probably get away with just changing the gear ratio of the motors. (wire color code can remain the same)
If there are to be many machines you should investigate the wire color code.
The standards you will have to meet will probably be in NEMA. (National Electrical Manufactures Assocation)

Good Luck on your new business.

the color of the cond. depends on what voltage and phase.
For 120/208 (also 230, 240) 3 phase wye the following colors are used:
L1-black, L2-red, L3-blue, neutral-white, ground-green, iso ground- green with yellow stripe.

For 120/240 single phase:
L1-black, L2-red, neutral-white, ground-green

For 277/480 (also 440,460) wye use:
L1-brown, L2-orange, L3-yellow, neutral-gray, ground-green

For 120/208 midpoint grounded delta (wildleg) use:
L1-black, L2-ORANGE, L3-blue, neutral-white, ground-green
NOTE L1to ground=120 v, L3 to ground=120 v, L2 TO GROUND=208 v

As for low voltage usually :
black- negative or ground
red- positive
usually uses 14 gauge or smaller wire to differentiate from power

HTH

Related to I have to transform some machine for use them in United state

1. What machines do I need to transform for use in the United States?

The specific machines that need to be transformed will depend on their intended use and the regulations in the United States. However, some common examples may include voltage converters for electrical equipment, modifications for safety standards, or adjustments for measurement units.

2. How do I know if a machine needs to be transformed for use in the United States?

You can consult with experts in the field or research the regulations and standards for the specific industry in the United States. It is important to ensure that the machine meets all necessary requirements for safety and functionality in the country.

3. Can I transform the machines myself or do I need to hire a professional?

The complexity of the transformation process will depend on the specific machine and its intended use. In some cases, it may be possible to make the necessary adjustments yourself. However, it is recommended to consult with a professional to ensure that the transformation is done correctly and meets all necessary standards.

4. How long does it usually take to transform a machine for use in the United States?

The timeline for transforming a machine will vary depending on the specific machine, the extent of the required modifications, and the availability of resources. It is important to plan ahead and allow enough time for the transformation process, as it may involve obtaining necessary approvals and certifications.

5. Are there any legal implications for not properly transforming a machine for use in the United States?

Yes, there can be legal consequences for not following the regulations and standards for using machines in the United States. It is important to ensure that the machine is properly transformed to avoid any potential penalties or safety hazards.

Back