I have to take a foreign language

• Thread starter celestasia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Just get the language requirement out of the way. Take the easiest one; probably Spanish or French.Spanish would probably be the easiest for you to learn and be most useful for your purposes. There are many resources available to help you learn Spanish, and you could also complete the requirement online. If you're in the United States, Spanish would be the best option. If you want to work in Europe, I would recommend German or French.
celestasia
I am an undergraduate physics student, and it is required at my school to take and pass a 200 level course in a foreign language. I need to start taking a foreign language either this summer or fall. It will take at least four semesters to finish with my language requirement. My options are as follows: French, Spanish, German, or Japanese. There is also a possibility of Portuguese or Chinese, but they are scheduled oddly. I have talked to my adviser about which one would be the most helpful to me. She said all I need to know is English. However, language is a requirement for me. Which language do you think would be best?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just get the language requirement out of the way. Take the easiest one; probably Spanish or French.

Ya, I would go with Spanish most likely. There are many resources available for help learning Spanish. You could also consider fulfilling your requirement online so you can work at your own pace.

If you're in the US, I guess Spanish is probably the most useful. If you intend to work in Europe I'd say pick the biggest economies like German (which is spoken in germany, switzerland and Austria) or French.

As a native English speaker maybe German would be easier for you. I don't know how hard Spanish would be but I do know that in a beginners class people who don't speak any latin language tipically progress much slower. My brother is studying in the UK and he got instantly put in a level 3 class after a few lessons (he is portuguese) even though he'd never had a spanish lesson before.

Ajoo said:
If you're in the US, I guess Spanish is probably the most useful. If you intend to work in Europe I'd say pick the biggest economies like German (which is spoken in germany, switzerland and Austria) or French.

As a native English speaker maybe German would be easier for you. I don't know how hard Spanish would be but I do know that in a beginners class people who don't speak any latin language tipically progress much slower. My brother is studying in the UK and he got instantly put in a level 3 class after a few lessons (he is portuguese) even though he'd never had a spanish lesson before.

I can say as a native english speaker there's less learning curve with French and Spanish (what I learnt) but speaking to others who did German, once you get past the initial learning curve of it, you'll find its just as natural as French or Spanish just takes a bit of getting used to it.

Do you have plans for any specific type of physics, say, in graduate school? If you want to do astrophysics, specifically observational, then Spanish would come in useful - many of the big telescopes are located in South America. I traveled down there a lot while working on my PhD, but never did take any Spanish courses (didn't manage to pick up much either, but I wish I had, especially when traveling around). Some fields, like particle physics, might be better off learning French or German (although I did spend a good amount of time in Germany working with collaborators - I took one semester of German, and I'm glad I did).

Related to I have to take a foreign language

What is the importance of taking a foreign language?

Taking a foreign language has several benefits such as improving cognitive skills, enhancing cultural understanding, and increasing job opportunities in the global market.

What are the most commonly studied foreign languages?

The most commonly studied foreign languages are Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Japanese.

How long does it take to become proficient in a foreign language?

The time it takes to become proficient in a foreign language varies depending on the individual's learning abilities and the complexity of the language. On average, it takes around 600-750 hours of study to reach a B2 level of proficiency in a language.

What are the best ways to learn a foreign language?

The best ways to learn a foreign language include immersive experiences, regular practice, utilizing resources such as language learning apps and textbooks, and seeking opportunities to practice with native speakers.

What are some potential challenges of learning a foreign language?

Some potential challenges of learning a foreign language include difficulty in understanding grammar rules, memorizing vocabulary, and overcoming pronunciation barriers. Culture shock and lack of motivation can also be significant obstacles.