I have some doubts regarding AM Modulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of the spectrums for SSB, DSB-SC, and VSB. The speaker confirms that the SSB and DSB-SC spectrums are correct and mentions finding supporting lecture notes for VSB. They also mention difficulty in identifying the carrier peak for DSB-SC.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
I have some doubts regarding AM Modulation. Here's what I understood, could someone please what I wrote below?
Relevant Equations
-
28t%29%3D%20V_c%20sin%20%282*%20%5Cpi%20f_c%20t%29.gif

3) Suppose, V DSB-SC as follows:
1616458880168.png

Are the following spectrums correct? The carrier frequencies are given as an example.
?hash=3f631ed8b446fd9a277ed7de9335c10e.png
1616458951061.png

Attachments

• 1616458951547.png
    1616458951547.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 1616458985568.png
    1616458985568.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 1616458985756.png
    1616458985756.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:
Are the following spectrums correct? The carrier frequencies are given as an example.
The SSB and DSB-SC spectra look correct to me. I wasn't too familiar with VSB, but a quick google led to these lecture notes from Stanford (here). There is an image (shown below) in the notes which supports your understanding of VSB, so I think you are correct.

(I think the DSB may be DSB-SC as I cannot clearly see the carrier peak shown)
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 1.18.54 PM.png

Hope that is of some help

Likes Fatima Hasan

Related to I have some doubts regarding AM Modulation

1. What is AM modulation and how does it work?

AM modulation, or amplitude modulation, is a method of transmitting information through a radio wave by varying the amplitude, or strength, of the wave. This is achieved by combining the original signal with a carrier wave at a higher frequency. The resulting wave will have a varying amplitude that corresponds to the original signal, allowing the information to be transmitted.

2. What are the advantages of AM modulation?

One of the main advantages of AM modulation is its simplicity. It is relatively easy to implement and requires less complex equipment compared to other modulation techniques. AM also has a wider range of frequencies that can be used for transmission, making it suitable for long-distance communication.

3. What are the disadvantages of AM modulation?

One major disadvantage of AM modulation is its susceptibility to noise and interference. Since the information is encoded in the amplitude of the wave, any changes to the amplitude can distort the signal and make it difficult to decipher. AM also has a limited bandwidth, which means it can only transmit a certain amount of information at a time.

4. How is AM modulation used in everyday life?

AM modulation is used in various applications, including commercial and amateur radio, television broadcasting, and aviation communication. It is also used in many consumer devices such as AM radios and walkie-talkies.

5. Can AM modulation be improved upon?

Yes, there are several techniques that have been developed to improve upon the limitations of AM modulation. These include double-sideband suppressed carrier (DSB-SC) modulation, single-sideband (SSB) modulation, and quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM). These techniques allow for more efficient use of bandwidth and better resistance to noise and interference.