I have holes in my math, help me.

• Thread starter Hierophant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holes
In summary, the given conversation discusses the process of solving a quadratic equation using factoring and finding the natural domain and range of the function. It also briefly touches on the use of completing the square and the quadratic formula. In terms of mathematics, this falls under the topic of basic algebra and specifically involves factoring quadratic equations.
Hierophant
What is happening here?
x2 – x – 2 = 0
(x – 2)(x + 1) = 0
x = 2 or x = –1

This is related to domain and ranges, finding the possibilities of the domain.

I would like to just see the process of how to solve this and then knowing what this actually is in mathematical terms (I'm assuming it is basic algebra, but what within algebra is this considered?)

Sorry for my blatant ignorance, I am getting back into math right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
x2 means x2?
Going from the first to the second line is a bit tricky (basically clever guessing), but can you derive the first line from the second?

To come from the second to the third: how can a product of two factors be zero? There are two options, and those give you the solutions.

Hierophant said:
What is happening here?
x2 – x – 2 = 0
I'm guessing you mean x2 - x - 2 = 0. I used HTML tags to make the superscript exponent. A simpler way is to write an exponent using the ^ character, like this:
x^2 -x - 2 = 0
Hierophant said:
(x – 2)(x + 1) = 0
x = 2 or x = –1

This is related to domain and ranges, finding the possibilities of the domain.

I would like to just see the process of how to solve this and then knowing what this actually is in mathematical terms (I'm assuming it is basic algebra, but what within algebra is this considered?)
The equation you wrote is a quadratic equation, so called because the highest degree term (x2) is a squared term (quadratus is Latin for square).

What was done in the work you show is called factoring, with the idea that if you know that two things multiply to make zero, then one or the other of them must be zero.
Hierophant said:
Sorry for my blatant ignorance, I am getting back into math right now.

If you need book recommendations, ask in the book section and you'll certainly get help.

The process used in this question is called factoring a quadratic equation, it is a shorter method than the longer "completing the square", although there is also the quadratic formula that one can use.

Oh, dear. I wonder if you are not spending too much time memorizing formulas and not enough learning what those formulas mean. Because here you see to be spending a lot of time trying to do something that is not related to solving the given problem! You say this has to do with "finding the possibilities of the domain". If that is the case, it has nothing at all to do with factoring or finding what values of x makes the function value 0.

To find the "natural domain" of a function given by a formula, you need to determine any value of x for which the operations cannot be performed. (For example division by 0 cannot be performed and you cannot take the square root of a negative number.) Here, the only operations are the basic arithmetic operations of addition and multiplication- and you can do those to any number. The domain of this function is "the set of all real numbers.

Nor do factoring and solving an equation have anything to do with finding the range. Since this function is quadratic, completing the square can be useful. f(x)= x^2- x- 2= (x^2- x+ 1/4)- 1/4- 2= (x- 1/2)^2- 9/4. (I have used the fact that any "square" is of the form (x- a)^2= x^2- 2ax+ a^2. That is the constant term must be half the coefficient of x, squared. Here, the coefficient of x is -1. Half of that is -1/2 and, squaring, 1/4. I added and subtracted 1/4, so as not to change the actual value, getting x^2- x+ 1/4- 1/4- 2, then wrote x^2- x+ 1/4 as x^2- 2(1/2)x+ (1/2)^2= (x- 1/2)^2.

The point is that a square is never negative (x- 1/2)^2 can be 0 (for x= 1/2) and can be any other positive number but never 0. So (x- 1/2)^2- 9/4 can be equal to -9/4 and can be any number larger than -9/4 but can never be less than -9/4. The range is "the set of all numbers larger than or equal to -9/4."

Related to I have holes in my math, help me.

What causes holes in my math?

Holes in math can be caused by a variety of factors, including a lack of understanding of foundational concepts, careless mistakes, or incorrect application of formulas or rules.

How can I fill in the holes in my math?

The best way to fill in holes in your math is to review and practice the concepts that you are struggling with. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher for clarification and additional practice problems.

Can I improve my math skills?

Yes, with dedication and practice, you can definitely improve your math skills. It is important to identify your weaknesses and work on them consistently. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

What can I do if I have a hard time understanding math?

If you are having a hard time understanding math, it may be helpful to approach it from a different angle. Try using visual aids, breaking down problems into smaller steps, or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

Is it normal to have holes in my math skills?

Yes, it is normal to have holes in your math skills. Just like with any other subject, it takes time and practice to fully understand and master math concepts. Don't get discouraged and keep working on improving your skills.