Help with Math Problems: Q.2(a), Q.6(c)!

• Thread starter mcintyre_ie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with various math problems, particularly involving equations and circles. The student is struggling with some of the problems, but is making progress and seeking clarification on certain steps. They also mention enjoying the new forum layout.
mcintyre_ie
Hey,
I’d really appreciate some help with these problems. I know it seems like I’m probably just asking you to do my entire assignment for me – but I assure you, this is (sadly) just a tiny piece of what I’ve got to do. I’ve attempted all of them, and still not coming up with any solutions. I’d appreciate any help you can give:

Q.2 (a) x^2 + 2x + p is a factor of x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c. Show that c = (a – 2)(b – 2a + 4).

What I’ve done so far:
I divided the (^2 + 2x + p) into (x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c), hoping to be able to equate the remainder to zero and then find c. I got c = 2x^2 + 2ax – bx + px + pa. I don’t know whether this is right (probably isn’t) or what I should do next.

Q.6 (c) Find the co-ordinates of the minimum point of the function f: x  xe^x – 4e^x.

I differentiated xe^x – 4e^x and equated it to zero, getting an answer of x=3. I then subbed this back into xe^x – 4e^x and got a co-ordinate of (3 , 3e^3 – 4e^3). This doesn’t seem very right to me… any ideas?

These two are the only ones I’ve got at the minute, but I’m sure I’ll be back with more after I’ve attempted the rest a few more times.

PS - Great new forum layout, haven't had a chance to visit since the redesign.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] x^3+ax^2+bx+c = (x+k)(x^2 +2x +p) [/tex]

u can compare the coefficient of same degree in x

u will observe
k= a-2 and p= b-2a +4

and c= pk

u have done the Pro 2 correctly the point is (3,-e3)

"I divided the (^2 + 2x + p) into (x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c), hoping to be able to equate the remainder to zero and then find c. I got c = 2x^2 + 2ax – bx + px + pa."

That's a good start but your answer for c should not have an "x" in it. Also, notice that the answer you want does not have "p" in it. When you divide (x^2+ 2x+ p) into (x^3+ ax^2+ bx+ c), you get a remainder of (b-p-2a-4)x+ c+ap-2p which has to be 0 FOR ALL x! That means the two coefficients must be 0: b- p- 2a- 4= 0 and c+ ap- 2p= 0. You can use those two equations to eliminate the p: from the first, p= b-2a-4 and substitute that into the second equation. NOW solve for c!

"I differentiated xe^x – 4e^x and equated it to zero, getting an answer of x=3. I then subbed this back into xe^x – 4e^x and got a co-ordinate of (3 , 3e^3 – 4e^3). This doesn’t seem very right to me… any ideas?"

My only advice would be to do the arithmetic and finish the problem! 3e^4- 4e^3= what??

HallsofIvy said:
My only advice would be to do the arithmetic and finish the problem! 3e^4- 4e^3= what??
I must be seriously loosing it when I'm asking for help in simple subtraction...

Moving swiftly on...
Ok, so here’s two more I’m having difficulty with:

Q.1 (B) The circle K has equation x^2 + y^2 – 8x – 8y + 28 = 0. a and b are two points on K such that length of ab = 2root3.

(I) Write down the co-ordinates of the centre and the radius length of K and hence, find the perpendicular distance from the centre of K to the chord ab.
(II) Given the the coordinated of a are (2,4) and the slope of ab>0, find the equation of ab.

Ok, so part (I) is fine, but I’m having trouble with part (II). The centre of the circle is (4,4) and the radius is 2 units. The distance from a to b is 2root3, so using the distance formula and the point a(2,4) and b(x,y), I tried to find the equation. I don’t think this is the right way to go about it.

(C) C is the circle with equation x^2 + y^2 – 10x – 8y +25 = 0.
(I) Show that the x-axis is a tangent to C and hence, or otherwise, find the coordinates of p, the point of contact.

Ok, I'm totally lost here. I found the centre of the circle to be (5,4) and radius 4 units. The perpendicular distance from (5,4) to the x-axis should be 4 unites, but I'm not sure how to prove this. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

1.b.ii) It is the right way to go about it. But if you apply only the distance formula, you're going to get the equation for a circle about (2,4) with radius 2sqrt(3). Get an equation from the distance formula, and then apply the equation for your original circle to narrow it down to two points. Select the point that yields a line of positive slope.

1.c.i) What's the derivative of the circle at x = 5?

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
1.b.ii) It is the right way to go about it. But if you apply only the distance formula, you're going to get the equation for a circle about (2,4) with radius 2sqrt(3). Get an equation from the distance formula, and then apply the equation for your original circle to narrow it down to two points. Select the point that yields a line of positive slope.

But how exactly do I "apply" the equation to the circle?

1.c.i) What's the derivative of the circle at x = 5?

I don't really understand this method at all?

It gives you a system of two equations in two variables. You have to use your algebra 2 skills to eliminate one of the variables and solve for the second.

You're familiar with derivatives, right? You must be, you used them to solve one of the first problems.

Let me rephrase the question it's asking you. "Find the equation of the tangent line to the circle at the point (5,0)." You'll need to use more algebra 2 skills plus a little derivative (which you really shouldn't need calculus to calculate). You should find that this equation is very easily written...

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
It gives you a system of two equations in two variables. You have to use your algebra 2 skills to eliminate one of the variables and solve for the second.

Let me rephrase the question it's asking you. "Find the equation of the tangent line to the circle at the point (5,0)." You'll need to use more algebra 2 skills plus a little derivative

I assume you're reffering to some kind of American curriculum when you refer to "Algebra 2"?

I'm assuming "solve a system of equations," right along with "find the equation of a tangent line" means the same thing in all the English speaking world...

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
I'm assuming "solve a system of equations," right along with "find the equation of a tangent line" means the same thing in all the English speaking world...

Well yeah, but when you say "use your Algebra 2 skills" I'm just curious as to what I'm actually supposed to use...

Algebra 2 is a second year algebra class in the US. It generally covers more complicated algebraic manipulation, including systems of equations and the point-slope form of linear equations, both of which will be convenient. Algebra 1 basically covers simple algebraic manipulation (solving for a variable using only the arithmetic operators) and the y = mx + b form of linear equations, and briefly polynomial equations of slightly higher order.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
cookiemonster

Ok, so do you mean to solve the two equations simultaneously then? If that's what you mean, I just get an answer of "8x = 36"... Yes, I would also assume that "sole a system of equations" would mean the same thing throughout the english speaking world, however I am not a native english speaker, and have never heard anybody use the phrase "solve a system of equations".

HallsofIvy said:
"I divided the (^2 + 2x + p) into (x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c), hoping to be able to equate the remainder to zero and then find c. I got c = 2x^2 + 2ax – bx + px + pa."

That's a good start but your answer for c should not have an "x" in it. Also, notice that the answer you want does not have "p" in it. When you divide (x^2+ 2x+ p) into (x^3+ ax^2+ bx+ c), you get a remainder of (b-p-2a-4)x+ c+ap-2p which has to be 0 FOR ALL x! That means the two coefficients must be 0: b- p- 2a- 4 = 0don't think so...it would equal -4... and c+ ap- 2p= 0. You can use those two equations to eliminate the p: from the first, p= b-2a-4 and substitute that into the second equation. NOW solve for c!

"I differentiated xe^x – 4e^x and equated it to zero, getting an answer of x=3. I then subbed this back into xe^x – 4e^x and got a co-ordinate of (3 , 3e^3 – 4e^3). This doesn’t seem very right to me… any ideas?"

My only advice would be to do the arithmetic and finish the problem! 3e^4- 4e^3= 33
There you go.

IooqXpooI said:
There you go.

Um, I don't think that refers to my (current) question?

Yes, you need to solve the system of simultaneous equations, which means the same thing as solving the system of equations simultaneously.

But I'm not getting x = 9/2 as the solution. You will get one x value and two y values, though, for two total solutions.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
Yes, you need to solve the system of simultaneous equations, which means the same thing as solving the system of equations simultaneously.

But I'm not getting x = 9/2 as the solution. You will get one x value and two y values, though, for two total solutions.

cookiemonster

Ok, so I've tried it again... getting x=9, with a complex root when I sub that into get my two y values, which can't be right.

You're right, imaginary points of intersection would be bad.

What are the two equations that you're using? The math actually worked out pretty nicely if I recall, so it seems unlikely you'd make a mistake there twice.

cookiemonster

1. How do I solve Q.2(a) and Q.6(c) in my math problems?

To solve Q.2(a) and Q.6(c) in your math problems, you will need to carefully read the given information and use the appropriate formulas or methods to find the solution. Make sure to show all of your work and check your answers for accuracy.

2. Can you explain the steps for solving Q.2(a) and Q.6(c) in detail?

Yes, first you will need to identify what type of problem Q.2(a) and Q.6(c) are (e.g. algebraic, geometry, etc.). Then, use the given information and any relevant formulas or methods to set up the problem. Next, solve for the unknown variable(s) and double check your work for accuracy.

3. How do I know which formula or method to use for Q.2(a) and Q.6(c)?

The formula or method you should use for Q.2(a) and Q.6(c) will depend on the given information and the type of problem. Make sure to read the problem carefully and look for any clues or keywords that may indicate what formula or method to use.

4. I am having trouble understanding Q.2(a) and Q.6(c), can you provide some tips for solving them?

First, make sure you have a good understanding of the basic concepts and principles related to Q.2(a) and Q.6(c). If you are still having trouble, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving Q.2(a) and Q.6(c)?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving Q.2(a) and Q.6(c) include not carefully reading the given information, using the wrong formula or method, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and be thorough in your problem solving process.