I have a question about magnetism

• Thread starter F Gump
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, a knife's magnetism is induced by grinding and sharpening it, and it is due to the ferromagnetic material inside the steel.
F Gump
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question. I am a long time knife collector, and after a block of steel is formed it gets demagnetized...after the steel block is then ground into shape and finally sharpened on a grinder, it some how becomes slighty magnetic. Knife makers say its from grinding and sharpening. Can someone explane how that would induce magnetism? Thanks Forest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Forest

You probably know that steel contains Iron i.e. a ferromagnetic material. In a ferromagnetic material, some spins (especially 3d) are well aligned in certain directions. But in a big sample (like a steel knife for example) the total energy would be too big if all spins are aligned in the same direction. So, inside the sample will nucleate some regions with spins aligned on different/oposite direction (ferromagnetic domains) in order to minimize the total energy of the sample. So the "magnetism" is already inside the sample but it is self-compensated (as you have many small magnets with random orientations). Under an external influence (magnetic field, mechanical tensions, etc.) the size of some ferrmagnetic domains can change and accordingly the sample get a non-zero magnetic moment.

By grinding and sharpening it is possible to induce some modification in the ferromagnetic structure of the knife and it becomes "magnetic".

Last edited:
Yes, you can produce a magnet from steel by stroking its surface with a magnet or ferrous material. This will allign the domains of surface - they were first randomly ordered - in one direction producing an ordered magnetic field around the steel knife.

Does the magnetic field of the Earth have anything to do with the magnetic moment the knives get? Do the knives get random polarization, or are all tips north-seeking etc?

Non-magentic alloys like stainless steel can become magnetic.

If they are subjected to heating for example, the "stainless steel
molecule" can locally break down into the magnetic iron components
plus other non-magnetic metals. This goes along with a gross change
in the other properties of the alloy, such as it may rust after that
(no longer "stainless" steel.)

Edit: I was assuming that the knives were stainless. If not, I apologize
for hitting the thread.

Last edited:
Yes they are stainless, but they get sharpened on a stone which is not steel. Yet somehow they become slightly magnetic. Now I am thinking maybe its where i leave them , ie...near my cell phone, on top of the tv..etc...thanks for any help guys.

Related to I have a question about magnetism

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a phenomenon that occurs when certain materials, such as iron and nickel, attract or repel other materials without physically touching them. It is caused by the alignment of electrons in the atoms of these materials, which creates a magnetic field.

2. What are magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are the areas around a magnet where its force can be felt. They are created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, and can be either attractive or repulsive.

3. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by exerting a force on other magnetic materials. This force is strongest at the poles of the magnet, which are the points where the magnetic field is most concentrated. Opposite poles of magnets attract each other, while like poles repel.

4. Can you explain the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that naturally possesses a magnetic field and can attract or repel other magnetic materials. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by running an electric current through a wire coiled around a metal core. This temporary magnetism can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

5. What are the practical applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has a wide range of practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI scans, and in data storage devices like hard drives. Additionally, magnets are commonly used in household items like refrigerator magnets and magnetic toys.