I have a couple of brain blocks.

In summary, the conversation discusses how much the mercury rises on the right side of a U-tube filled with mercury and water when 11.2 cm of water is added to the left side. The equation used is p0 + Dw(g)(1/2 * h) = p0 + Dm(g)(d), which results in a rise of .412 cm. There is some confusion about using (1/2 * h) instead of h, but it is clarified that this is due to the distance change of the mercury surface to the water-mercury interface. The conversation also mentions that the density of mercury is greater than water, which explains why it is always beneath water in the U-tube.
falcon0311
I've got a U-tube filled with Mercury and water. If I add 11.2 cm of water to the left side, how much does the mercury rise on the right side?

For simplicity's sake, D will stand for density, p0 for initial pressure, w = water, m = mercury, h = 11.2 cm for the water and d = the distance the mercury rises, and g is gravity.

The equation I think I'm supposed to use is

p0 + Dw(g)(1/2 * h) = p0 + Dm(g)(d)

--> Dw(1/2 * h) = Dm(d)

d = [ Dw(1/2 * h) ] / Dm = [ 1,000 kg/m^3 ( 1/2 * 11.2 cm ) ] / 13.6*10^3 kg/m^3

d = .412 cm which is what the book says, but my question is why did I use (1/2 * h) instead of h? Is there another way to do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the correct answer depends on whether it's mercury or water that occupies the lower, bent portion of the U-tube. Let's assume however that mercury fills the bottom. Then the water-mercury interface is on the left side (water side) at a point where the tube remains vertical. The importance of the interface position is that for a height change [tex]\inline{dx}[/tex] of the mercury surface level, the distance change of the mercury surface to water-mercury interface is [tex]\inline{2dx}[/tex]. Thus, if we add 11.2 cm of water to the left-hand side, then [tex]\inline{ \rho_w g [11.2 \text{ cm}]= \rho_m g [2dx] }[/tex].

Last edited:
If the mercury level falls by x cm on the left side. then the mercury on the right side rises by x cm too relative to the initial level.

See the attached file. Do you know why now?

The density of mercury is greater than water, so it is always beneath water.

Thanks for the help; you cleared that up pretty well. :biggrin:

Related to I have a couple of brain blocks.

What causes brain blocks?

Brain blocks can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, and distractions. They may also be a sign of mental fatigue or burnout.

How can I overcome a brain block?

There are several strategies you can use to overcome a brain block. These include taking a break and engaging in a different activity, practicing relaxation techniques, changing your environment, and breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks.

Are brain blocks harmful?

Brain blocks are a natural and common occurrence and are not considered harmful. However, if you experience frequent or long-lasting brain blocks, it may be a sign of an underlying issue and it is important to seek help from a healthcare professional.

Can brain blocks be prevented?

While brain blocks cannot always be prevented, there are steps you can take to reduce their frequency. These include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, practicing good time management, and finding ways to manage stress and anxiety.

How long do brain blocks typically last?

The duration of a brain block can vary greatly depending on the individual and the cause. Some may only last a few minutes, while others may persist for hours or even days. If a brain block continues for an extended period, it is important to seek help and support in overcoming it.