I get two different answers. Which one is correct?

In summary, the uncertainty in M is approximately 1.4 or 1.1068, depending on the method used to calculate it. The formula for calculating uncertainty in this case is (3 Δa + Δb)/2 or ( √(9*Δa2 + Δb2) ) / 2. It is important to note that the errors in a and b are not independent, so the standard formula for calculating uncertainty cannot be used.
carloz

Homework Statement

M = (a-b)/2 + a

a = 15
b=5

What is the uncertainty in M if the uncertainty in a and b is ±0.7?

Homework Equations

for c = a + b
Error in c =√[(error in a)^2 + (error in b)^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

Error in M = √[0.7^2 * 3] = 1.2124

The problem I am having is that we learn that the above formula can only work when the errors are independent of one another. the error in a is obviously not independent of the error in a. so i think I'm wrong.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, the errors work like this:

s= a+b ⇒ Δs=Δa + Δb

s= a-b ⇒ Δs= Δa + Δb

s=ab ⇒ Δs/s = Δa/a + Δb/b

So you can apply the first two as needed.

yes. but that only works when the uncertainties in a and b are independent. however in my equation for M, a appears twice. since the error of a is not independent of a, how do i go about finding the uncertainty?

thanks.

Why not just simplify your problem

(a-b)/2+a

into

(3a-b)/2

and then use the rules for the error of 3a+b. You don't need to worry about the independency of error a to error a.
This way I get

(3 Δa + Δb)/2 = 1.4

Or using the other rule [ √(Δa2 + Δb2) ]

( √(9*Δa2 + Δb2) ) / 2 ≈ 1.1068

As a scientist, it is important to recognize and address any potential errors or discrepancies in our calculations. In this case, it appears that there may be a misunderstanding of the formula for calculating error in a sum or difference of two quantities. The formula you have provided is correct, but it assumes that the errors in a and b are independent of each other. In this case, the error in a is not independent of the error in b, as they both contribute to the error in M.

To properly calculate the uncertainty in M, we must use the formula:

Error in M = √[(error in a)^2 + (error in b)^2 + 2(r)(error in a)(error in b)]

Where r is the correlation coefficient between a and b. If a and b are perfectly correlated (r=1), then the error in M would be √[(error in a)^2 + (error in b)^2 + 2(error in a)(error in b)]. In this case, r is not specified, so we cannot accurately determine the uncertainty in M.

To address the issue of two different answers, it is possible that the first answer (1.2124) is incorrect due to the assumption of independent errors. The second answer would be correct if the correlation coefficient is 0, meaning that the errors in a and b are not related. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of any formula used in calculations. In this case, it may be necessary to gather more information or clarify the problem statement to accurately determine the uncertainty in M.

Related to I get two different answers. Which one is correct?

1. What is uncertainty in science?

Uncertainty in science refers to the range of possible values for a measurement or the degree of confidence in a scientific result. It is a measure of how well a quantity is known or how much it can vary.

2. Why is it important to find uncertainty in scientific experiments?

Finding uncertainty is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to understand the reliability and accuracy of their results. It also helps in comparing and evaluating different experiments and their outcomes.

3. How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is typically calculated by taking into account the precision and accuracy of a measurement, as well as any sources of error or variability in the experiment. There are various methods for calculating uncertainty, such as the standard deviation or the propagation of errors.

4. What are the units of uncertainty?

Uncertainty is typically expressed in the same units as the measurement being made. For example, if a length is measured in meters, then the uncertainty would also be in meters. However, in some cases, uncertainty may be expressed as a percentage or a fraction.

5. How can uncertainty be minimized in scientific experiments?

To minimize uncertainty in scientific experiments, it is important to use precise and accurate measurement tools, control for sources of error, and take multiple measurements to reduce random variability. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to understand the limitations and potential sources of uncertainty.