I can't figure out this problem

• Thread starter jw123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two wire loops carrying current and the magnetic fields and forces between them. The person is asking for help in drawing arrows to represent the magnetic field and forces, and is unable to post a link to the loops. They have attempted to draw the arrows but were told it was incorrect.
jw123
I can't figure out this problem!

Homework Statement

The two wire loops shown below carry current as indicated. Draw 4 arrows representing the magnetic field due to the bottom loop at the top loop. Draw 4 arrows representing the forces on the top current loop due to the magnetic field in the bottom loop. (Clearly label both sets of arrows). Describe any motion of the top loop that may result from the forces acting on it.

OK i can't paste the loops in here for some reason but they are just two circular loops facing horizontally with currents going in the same direction.
I can probably try to get them on somehow but right now i can't seem to figure out how? thanks a lot to anyone who can help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing 4 arrows from one loop to another and then 4 arrows going in between(parrallel) to both of the loops but i was told that it wasn't right so now i have no idea what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF :smile:

Unfortunately you're not allowed to post links until you've posted 15 times. I know it's a pain, but it helps with keeping the spam level low.

Instead, if you type "www", then a space, and then the rest of the address, I think it will display and people can find your figure.

I can understand your frustration with this problem. It can be challenging to visualize and understand the forces and motions involved in complex systems like this one. However, it is important to remember that science is all about problem-solving and finding solutions to difficult questions.

In this case, it may be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and consider the fundamental principles of electromagnetism. The magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the field is given by the direction of your fingers when wrapped around the wire in the direction of the current. Using this rule, you can draw the magnetic field arrows from the bottom loop to the top loop.

Next, consider the forces that act on the top current loop due to the magnetic field of the bottom loop. These forces can be determined using the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field is given by the cross product of the current, the magnetic field, and the length of the wire. You can use this law to draw the forces on the top loop, labeling each arrow with the direction and magnitude of the force.

As for the motion of the top loop, it will depend on the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on it. If the forces are balanced, the loop will experience no net force and will remain stationary. If the forces are unbalanced, the loop will experience a net force and will move in the direction of the resulting force.

Remember, it is important to approach scientific problems with patience, determination, and critical thinking. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and you will be able to figure out this problem and many others in the future.

Related to I can't figure out this problem

1. Why can't I figure out this problem?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are struggling with this problem. It could be because you lack the necessary background knowledge, the problem is too complex, or you are approaching it with the wrong mindset. Take a step back and assess the situation to determine the root cause.

2. What should I do when I can't figure out a problem?

The first step is to remain calm and avoid getting frustrated. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and try to identify where you are getting stuck. You can also seek help from a colleague or a tutor.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and by adopting a logical and systematic approach. Start by identifying the problem and gathering all the necessary information. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate their effectiveness. Finally, implement the best solution and reflect on the process to learn from it.

4. Is it normal to struggle with problem-solving?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with problem-solving. It is a skill that takes time and practice to develop. Remember to be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help or seek guidance when needed.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a problem?

One common mistake is jumping straight into solving the problem without fully understanding it. Another mistake is getting fixated on one approach and not considering alternative solutions. It is also important to avoid making assumptions and to check your work for errors. Lastly, lack of time management and rushing through the problem can also lead to mistakes.