I-Beam Sizes: Standard Dimensions in SI Units

In summary, the standard dimensions for I-beams in SI units include height, width, and flange thickness, measured in millimeters. The appropriate size for a project depends on factors such as load, span, and material, and can be determined with the help of a structural engineer or load and span tables. I-beam sizes can vary based on the material used, and it is possible to customize or order non-standard sizes, though this may come at an additional cost and longer lead times. To convert I-beam sizes from imperial units to SI units, accurate conversion factors must be used.
Fantastic Fox
Where can I get a list of standard sizes for I beams? (Preferably in SI units, just to save me time)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you try any of the reference sites like Engineer's Edge or EFunda?

Thanks, I found what I was looking for.If you have two point loads equidistant from the centre, and a udl, such as;

^^^l^l^^^

how do you calculate the deflection?
Do you calculate deflection for the point loads, and the udl separately, then add the results together? (I just want to make sure there isn't a special equation I'm missing)

Last edited:

Related to I-Beam Sizes: Standard Dimensions in SI Units

1. What are the standard measurements for I-beams in SI units?

The standard dimensions for I-beams in SI units include the height, width, and flange thickness of the beam. The height is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and can range from 100 mm to 1000 mm. The width is also measured in mm and can range from 50 mm to 300 mm. The flange thickness is typically measured in mm and can range from 10 mm to 20 mm.

2. How do I choose the right size I-beam for my project?

The size of the I-beam you choose for your project will depend on several factors, including the load it needs to support, the span or distance between supports, and the type of material used. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or refer to load and span tables to determine the appropriate size for your specific project.

3. Are there variations in I-beam sizes based on the material used?

Yes, the size of an I-beam can vary depending on the material used. For example, a steel I-beam will have different dimensions than an aluminum or wood I-beam. It is important to consider the type of material when selecting the size of an I-beam for a project.

4. Can I customize or order I-beams in non-standard sizes?

Yes, it is possible to customize or order I-beams in non-standard sizes. However, this may come at an additional cost and may require longer lead times for manufacturing. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or supplier for more information on custom I-beam sizes.

5. How do I convert I-beam sizes from imperial units to SI units?

To convert I-beam sizes from imperial units to SI units, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert inches to millimeters, multiply the number of inches by 25.4. To convert pounds per foot to kilograms per meter, multiply the number of pounds by 1.48816. It is important to use accurate conversion factors and double-check your calculations when converting between units.