I am trying to figure out how much force i need to pull to drag an

In summary, the person is trying to determine the force needed to drag an object with a given surface area and weight from a specific depth. They are unsure of how to use Newton's laws in this scenario, and are seeking help to understand. The volume of the object is also important for buoyancy calculations, and water resistance must also be taken into account when pulling the object vertically.
Requnix
I am trying to figure out how much force i need to pull to drag an object with a given surface 1634 square inch and weight from a given depth. Between 100 - 200 m 11-21kg psi. However I do not know how to use Newtons laws correctly in this senario. The object does not the to accelerate. Can you please help me to understand?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You need the volume, too, as it is relevant for buoyancy.
Do you pull it vertically? In this case, add the weight (mass of object * gravitational acceleration) and the water resistance, and subtract buoyancy (density of water * volume of object * gravitational acceleration).

Water resistance (drag) depends on your object and the velocity. If you want to calculate the minimal force required to lift the object (and if you are patient enough), ignore this part, the resistance will be very small if the velocity is small. For high velocities, this is the most important part.

Related to I am trying to figure out how much force i need to pull to drag an

1. How do you calculate the force needed to drag an object?

To calculate the force needed to drag an object, you will need to know the mass of the object and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is being dragged on. The formula for calculating force is F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the object).

2. What factors affect the amount of force needed to drag an object?

The amount of force needed to drag an object is affected by the mass of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, the surface area of the object, and the angle at which the object is being dragged.

3. How does the surface affect the amount of force needed to drag an object?

The surface on which an object is being dragged can greatly affect the amount of force needed. A smooth surface with a low coefficient of friction will require less force, while a rough surface with a high coefficient of friction will require more force.

4. Can the angle of dragging affect the amount of force needed?

Yes, the angle at which an object is being dragged can affect the amount of force needed. If the object is being dragged at an angle, the force needed will be greater as it is pulling the object both horizontally and vertically.

5. How can I determine the coefficient of friction for a specific surface?

The coefficient of friction for a specific surface can be determined through experiments or by consulting tables that provide coefficients of friction for different surfaces. You can also use a spring scale to measure the force needed to drag an object on the surface and then use the formula F = μN to solve for μ.