I am new here, this is more of a conceptual confirmation than mathemab

• Thread starter ALLIRIX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the efficiency of converting electrical power to heat power is not equal, as some energy remains within the electrons to keep them moving in a circuit. This is because the heat is produced from the electrons losing potential energy, not kinetic energy, and the electrons maintain the same speed before and after the conversion.
ALLIRIX
When a wire resists an electrical current it produces heat energy. But how efficient is this transfer? If the electrical Power is 20watts is the heating power 20watts? (ignoring all other inefficiencies, just the conversion from Electrical to Heat)

I'm thinking since a circuit requires electrons to complete the circuit in order to have a current, the Powers won't be equal because some energy will remain within the electrons to keep them in movement.

However I am not certain of this and growing less and less confident of this idea. Could someone explain this in a way I can understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
The heat comes from the electrons losing potential energy, not kinetic energy. The electrons move at the same (very slow) speed before and afterwards, if the wire maintains the same diameter and resistivity.

Related to I am new here, this is more of a conceptual confirmation than mathemab

1. What does "I am new here" mean?

"I am new here" typically means that the person is new to a certain place or community, and may not be familiar with the norms and expectations of that environment.

2. What is meant by "conceptual confirmation"?

"Conceptual confirmation" refers to the process of verifying or confirming a concept or idea, rather than a specific mathematical calculation or equation. It involves understanding and analyzing the underlying principles and theories behind a concept.

3. Is "I am new here" a common phrase in the scientific community?

Yes, "I am new here" is a common phrase used in the scientific community, particularly by researchers, students, and professionals who are new to a particular field or research topic.

4. Why is it important to seek conceptual confirmation in science?

Seeking conceptual confirmation is important in science because it allows scientists to critically analyze and understand the foundations of a concept or theory, and ensure that it aligns with established knowledge and principles. It also helps to identify any potential flaws or gaps in understanding that may need to be addressed.

5. How does conceptual confirmation differ from mathematical confirmation?

Conceptual confirmation differs from mathematical confirmation in that it focuses on the underlying principles and theories of a concept, rather than specific numerical calculations or equations. While mathematical confirmation is important for quantitative data analysis, conceptual confirmation is crucial for understanding the foundations and implications of a concept in a broader context.