I am getting cold feet ): please share some opinions

In summary: There are a lot of different types of engineers.Some people think that because you are a visual learner, math is also difficult to learn. However, there are lots of ways to learn math, and if you are determined enough you can learn it.Some people think that because you are creative, you have no chance of becoming an engineer. However, many engineers are also creative. They design things like bridges or cars, which are often very complicated.Many people think that because you are only 17, you won't be able to succeed in becoming an engineer. However, many engineers are also 17 or younger. Some of the most famous engineers in the world are 17 or younger.
Strategos
Unfortunatley I am getting cold feet in my goal in becoming a engineer... Why, you may be asking, is because everyone I talk to seems to think I have no chance in becoming one!

I am a visual learner. Math is also difficult to learn sometimes, Is engineering really not for me because of this fact? I am creative and have determination, I am willing to start a 5-8 hour study a day for a year+ in preperation to make up for my poor mathematics skills. I am only 17 and still in high school. Is this engineering worth pursuing or are my critizers right?

Your opinion means a lot to me! share it!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're willing to start a 5-8 hour study a day for a year to make up with your poor mathematics skills, then get started on that as soon as possible. Or do as much as you can as soon as possible. Math takes practice to be good at it. Even if you decide eventually that you don't want to be an engineer, having some skill with math opens up a lot of other doors. At 17 you don't need to make a decision right now on whether you're going to be an engineer for the rest of your life, but the time you spend right now working on you math skills will pay off in the long run.

Bear in mind that several of the courses in a "general" first Engineering degree are pretty much "more math" rather than "engineering". Doing some extra work to get yourself to the starting point might not be enough.

On the other hand, some branches of engineering are a lot more mathematical than others. It would be hard to get through an Electrical Eng degree course without good math skills, but production engineering or metallurgy for example would be much less math intensive.

I think you need some professional advice about choosing a course that best fits your ability, rather than listening to "everybody".

Strategos said:
Unfortunatley I am getting cold feet in my goal in becoming a engineer...

What kind of engineer? Some engineers design machinery, others design electrical circuits, others design septic systems.

First of all, I want to commend you for having the determination and drive to pursue a career in engineering. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed in this field, and it sounds like you have those qualities. Don't let anyone discourage you from pursuing your goals.

I can tell you that being a visual learner should not hold you back from becoming an engineer. In fact, many engineers use visual aids and diagrams to help them understand complex concepts and solve problems. Additionally, being creative is a valuable skill in engineering, as it allows you to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions. Your willingness to put in extra effort to improve your math skills also shows your determination and commitment to your goal, which are important qualities for any engineer to have.

It's important to remember that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and just because math may be difficult for you now, it doesn't mean you can't become a successful engineer. With hard work and perseverance, you can overcome any challenges you may face in your studies. Don't let the opinions of others discourage you, as they do not determine your potential or abilities.

In my opinion, engineering is definitely worth pursuing if it is something you are passionate about. It is a rewarding and fulfilling career that allows you to make a positive impact on the world through problem-solving and innovation. I believe you have what it takes to become a successful engineer, and I encourage you to continue on your path and not let anyone discourage you. Good luck on your journey!

Related to I am getting cold feet ): please share some opinions

1. Why do people get cold feet before big events?

Getting cold feet before a big event is a common response to stress and anxiety. It is a natural instinct to feel apprehensive about something that is new or unknown, as it triggers our fight or flight response. Our body releases stress hormones, such as adrenaline, which can cause our feet to feel cold and clammy.

2. How can I manage my cold feet before a big event?

One way to manage cold feet before a big event is to practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation. This can help to calm your nerves and reduce the release of stress hormones. You can also try to focus on the positive aspects of the event and remind yourself of why you were excited about it in the first place.

3. Is getting cold feet a sign that I shouldn't do something?

Not necessarily. Cold feet is a normal response to stress and does not always indicate that you should not do something. It is important to evaluate the situation and determine if your feelings are based on valid concerns or just nerves. If your doubts are due to valid concerns, it may be best to address them before moving forward with the event.

4. Can cold feet be a symptom of an underlying condition?

In some cases, cold feet may be a symptom of an underlying condition, such as anxiety disorder or poor circulation. If you frequently experience cold feet in situations that do not typically cause stress or anxiety, it may be a good idea to speak with a healthcare professional to rule out any underlying health issues.

5. How can I support someone who is experiencing cold feet?

If someone you know is experiencing cold feet, it is important to be understanding and supportive. Encourage them to talk about their concerns and offer to help in any way you can. You can also suggest relaxation techniques or activities to help them manage their stress. Above all, let them know that you believe in them and that it is normal to feel nervous before a big event.