I am accused of copying four sentences from Wikipedia in one of my assignment

In summary: Roshan for your input. I appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses a student's situation where they are accused of copying sentences from Wikipedia and not properly referencing them in a 12-page assignment on C++ simulation. The student maintains their innocence and explains that they did not copy any code, but forgot to give a reference for the sentences. The conversation also touches on the importance of honesty and taking responsibility for one's actions in such situations.
jacksond351
It’s a 12 page assignment completely based on C++ simulation. I got the result and then I describe the results according to my numerical analysis while I was describing the result four of the sentences exactly match with Wikipedia. During coding in C++, I did not copy a single line from anywhere all of my own codes but Prof. accused me that I modified some codes from online sources that even I do not know. However, I gave the reference of the main algorithm that I am using. Now, Prof. informed me that he will send it to the disciplinary committee because of matching four sentences and modification of some codes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think honesty is the best policy. It is a bit insulting to the accuser if he is right, yet you tell him he is wrong. As an example, I don't know the whole situation, but your story that you so happened to lend to your friend a USB filled with all your solutions and your friend got the idea independently to copy them (at no fault of your own) just sounds ludicrous. Many observers would assume what really happened is you gave him the USB so that he could copy the assignments. If I were listening to you tell me that, I would just feel annoyed by you treating me like a buffoon. On the other hand, if you were upfront, I would probably understand that in the inner workings of all classes, many many MANY students share assignments (though more often to check as opposed to straight copy the whole thing or to copy a single, troublesome problem).

Last edited:
Did you copy the sentences from wikipedia??
Did you give reference to wikipedia??

Just be honest about it.

I forget to give the wiki reference for and this is the only reference that I was missing in the 12 page assignment

jacksond351 said:
I forget to give the wiki reference for and this is the only reference that I was missing in the 12 page assignment

*winces* Not good. You really shouldn't forget to show all your references, you really, really shouldn't. I agree with micro and Roshan, though, just tell them you forgot to show that one little thing - they'll probably be fine with it as long as it's just a small mistake.

No matter the punishment, I think it is also important to take it with dignity. Pleading or claiming something is unfair will just leave you stuck with the punishment for sure whereas showing acceptance as if you think it is fair combined with a small display of discomfort/regret/sadness might work in your favor.

E.g. if they say you get an F in the course, you can breathe out heavily like a sigh with your mouth scrunched up in a semi-frown while shaking your head for a second. And then say, "I understand." You could also do something like a disbelief look with your mouth open a bit and your eye brows squished up a bit and then follow it with a regular face of logical thought and the exclamation: "I see." or "I understand. That's what I deserve."

If you did forget to give the wiki reference, then they are correct. Let this be a lesson for the future: never ever forget to give reference for something you just copied.

As for the situation now: I think it's the best to be entirely honest and admit you copied the sentences.

I agree with micromass. What the OP has posted here looks like trying to wriggle off the hook IMO. (I didn't see the USB stick comments before they were deleted, but the fact that they WERE deleted is still giving out the wrong message). That will get you nowhere, in front of a committee who have seen it all before.

If the only mistake you made was forgetting one reference, then you might get off with some sort of warning, especially if you have some working documents that show you did record the reference when you found the Wiki material, but it got lost later on. If not ... well, not all "learning experiences" are nice ones.

ok...thanks AlephaZero

Related to I am accused of copying four sentences from Wikipedia in one of my assignment

What is considered plagiarism and how does it apply to my assignment?

Plagiarism is the act of using someone else's work or ideas without giving proper credit. This can include copying sentences, phrases, or entire paragraphs from a source without citing it. In your assignment, if you have copied four sentences from Wikipedia without properly citing it, it can be considered plagiarism.

Why is plagiarism a serious issue in academic settings?

Plagiarism is a serious issue in academic settings because it goes against the principles of academic integrity and honesty. It also undermines the value of education and the hard work of those who have produced original ideas and content.

What are the potential consequences of plagiarism in my assignment?

The potential consequences of plagiarism in your assignment can vary depending on the severity and intention of the act. It could result in a failing grade for the assignment, a failing grade for the course, or even academic probation or expulsion from your institution.

How can I avoid plagiarism in my assignments?

To avoid plagiarism, it is important to properly cite all sources used in your assignment. This includes both direct quotes and paraphrased information. You can also avoid plagiarism by thoroughly understanding the material and writing it in your own words, and by using plagiarism detection software to check your work.

What should I do if I accidentally plagiarized in my assignment?

If you have accidentally plagiarized in your assignment, the best course of action is to take responsibility and inform your professor or instructor. They may offer guidance on how to properly cite the source and may give you the opportunity to revise your assignment. It is important to be honest and learn from the mistake to avoid future instances of plagiarism.