I am a little stuck on an engineering question to do with Photovoltic cells.

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power generated by a solar cell at AM1.5, with a size of 1.5x3.5cm^2. The person is unsure of how to do this without knowing the material and asks for help. The question of what "AM1.5" means is also raised, as well as the potential efficiency and typical efficiencies of solar cells.
Kimbo
I need to calculate how much power will be generated by a solar cell at AM1.5. The cell is 1.5x3.5cm^2.

I know that it is to do with the area of the cell i just don't understand how to work out the power generated without knowing things like the material. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kimbo said:
I need to calculate how much power will be generated by a solar cell at AM1.5. The cell is 1.5x3.5cm^2.

I know that it is to do with the area of the cell i just don't understand how to work out the power generated without knowing things like the material. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't feel bad; neither can anyone else, not without knowing something about the material etc.

Kimbo said:

Tell us what "AM1.5" means. If you assume 100% efficiency, how much power can the solar cell generate? And what are more typical efficiencies for solar cells now?

Related to I am a little stuck on an engineering question to do with Photovoltic cells.

1. What are Photovoltaic cells?

Photovoltaic cells, also known as solar cells, are devices that convert sunlight into electricity by using the photovoltaic effect. They are made up of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that absorb sunlight and release electrons, creating an electric current.

2. How do Photovoltaic cells work?

Photovoltaic cells work by converting sunlight into electricity through the use of the photovoltaic effect. When sunlight hits the cell, it excites the electrons in the semiconductor material, causing them to flow and create an electric current. The current can then be harnessed and used as electricity.

3. What are the applications of Photovoltaic cells?

Photovoltaic cells have a wide range of applications, including powering homes and buildings, providing electricity to remote areas, and even powering satellites in space. They are also used in smaller devices, such as calculators and solar-powered chargers for electronic devices.

4. How efficient are Photovoltaic cells?

The efficiency of Photovoltaic cells varies depending on the type of cell and the conditions in which it is used. On average, commercial solar panels have an efficiency of around 15-20%, meaning that they can convert 15-20% of the sunlight that hits them into electricity. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are constantly improving the efficiency of these cells.

5. What are the benefits of using Photovoltaic cells?

There are several benefits to using Photovoltaic cells, including their renewable and clean source of energy, their low operating costs, and their minimal environmental impact. They also have a long lifespan, require little maintenance, and can be easily installed in a variety of locations, making them a popular choice for sustainable energy production.