HYSYS - Pseudo Critial Properties

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the difference between true and pseudo-critical values is how they are calculated, with pseudo-critical values being more accurate and calculated using an equation of state.
danago
Gold Member
I am very new to using the HYSYS process modelling software and would appreciate if somebody could possibly answer a simple question.

For an assignment i was working on, i needed to reference the critical temperature and pressure for a hydrocarbon mix. For the particular stream, i used the "critical properties" utility, which displayed "true" and "pseudo" temperatures and pressures. What is the difference between these values? How is the pseudo value calculated?

If anybody is able to shed some light on this issue, i'd be greatly appreciative :smile:

Thanks,
Dan.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The critical temperature and pressure of a hydrocarbon mixture can be estimated by either true or pseudo-critical values. True critical values are calculated from the actual boiling points of the components in the mix, whereas pseudo-critical values are calculated from correlations rather than actual values. Pseudo-critical values are generally more accurate estimates of the critical properties of a hydrocarbon mix and are usually used when true critical values are not available. The pseudo-critical values are typically calculated using an equation of state such as the Peng-Robinson equation of state.

Related to HYSYS - Pseudo Critial Properties

What is HYSYS?

HYSYS is a process simulation software developed by AspenTech. It is used by scientists and engineers in various industries to model and optimize chemical processes.

What are pseudo critical properties in HYSYS?

Pseudo critical properties in HYSYS refer to the properties of a substance at its pseudo critical point, which is a calculated point on the phase envelope of a substance. These properties are used in the Peng-Robinson equation of state to model the behavior of substances near their critical point.

How does HYSYS calculate pseudo critical properties?

HYSYS uses the Peng-Robinson equation of state to calculate pseudo critical properties. This equation takes into account the molecular weight, critical temperature, and critical pressure of a substance to determine its pseudo critical point.

Why are pseudo critical properties important in process simulation?

Pseudo critical properties are important in process simulation because they allow for accurate modeling of substances near their critical point. This is especially useful in processes involving phase changes, such as gas-liquid separation or distillation.

Can pseudo critical properties be adjusted in HYSYS?

Yes, pseudo critical properties can be adjusted in HYSYS by modifying the input data for a substance's molecular weight, critical temperature, or critical pressure. This can help to fine-tune process simulations and improve accuracy.