Hypothetical scenario spacecracft moving faster than c

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a hypothetical space-craft traveling faster than the speed of light and how light would appear to a ground observer. Some members argue that this question does not make sense as it goes against known laws of physics, while others compare it to famous paradoxes in physics. The conversation also touches on the postulate of the speed of light being constant in all reference frames in the theory of relativity.
Blogical
How will light switched on from a space-craft moving faster than c appear( hypothetical space-craft) to a ground observer??
I am new to this forum and i am unfamiliar regarding threads, but some guy locked my previous thread, its absolutely unfair,citing the reason space-craft can't travel faster than c!
If the same logic was used, there would have been no SCHRODINGER's CAT, EPR, etc
Its HYPOTHETICAL!

Physics news on Phys.org
Blogical said:
How will light switched on from a space-craft moving faster than c appear( hypothetical space-craft) to a ground observer??
I am new to this forum and i am unfamiliar regarding threads, but some guy locked my previous thread, its absolutely unfair,citing the reason space-craft can't travel faster than c!
If the same logic was used, there would have been no SCHRODINGER's CAT, EPR, etc
Its HYPOTHETICAL!

You need to learn about relativistic velocity addition.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/einvel.html

The reason why your other thread was locked as because you made some assertion of something moving faster than c! If you don't know, ASK, but do not make some wild guess before you learn things. How you ask things is as important as what you are asking.

Edit: furthermore, please read the Relativity FAQ subforum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biological, read your private messages.

Blogical said:
Its HYPOTHETICAL!

Since no current scientific theory allows for this, it cannot be answered as a scientific question. You first need a theory that allows it to even begin to answer this - and both formulating and discussing such a theory are outside the scope of this forum (until developed enough to be published as a possible generalization of known physics).

ZapperZ said:
You need to learn about relativistic velocity addition.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/einvel.html

The reason why your other thread was locked as because you made some assertion of something moving faster than c! If you don't know, ASK, but do not make some wild guess before you learn things. How you ask things is as important as what you are asking.

Edit: furthermore, please read the Relativity FAQ subforum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Zz.
I agree with you Zapper Z, but the reason i asked this was they had used the scenario i posted to explain the fact that c is ultimate speed in the chapter Special relativity in the book,
"CONCEPTS OF MODERN PHYSICS"-
ARTHUR BEISER

You are basically asking what the law of physics would imply if the laws of physics weren't valid. Questions like this make no sense, and physics cannot answer them.
It's like asking "If a man could be pregnant, how long would pregnancy last?" The situation is impossible, so the question makes no sense.

micromass said:
You are basically asking what the law of physics would imply if the laws of physics weren't valid. Questions like this make no sense, and physics cannot answer them.
It's like asking "If a man could be pregnant, how long would pregnancy last?" The situation is impossible, so the question makes no sense.
I don't seem to understand why so many members are regarding this as a question which does not make sense!
If Schrodinger was alive, he would have been probably be saddened by the arguments posted here, Schrodinger's CAT also does not make any sense, so does the famous MAD SCIENTIST paradox or even the EPR paradox, But these are the paradoxes which created intense discussions in Quantum mechanics and modern physics!
so going by the arguments posted, these would be nothing but statements which make NO SENSE!

Blogical said:
I don't seem to understand why so many members are regarding this as a question which does not make sense!
If Schrodinger was alive, he would have been probably be saddened by the arguments posted here, Schrodinger's CAT also does not make any sense, so does the famous MAD SCIENTIST paradox or even the EPR paradox, But these are the paradoxes which created intense discussions in Quantum mechanics and modern physics!
so going by the arguments posted, these would be nothing but statements which make NO SENSE!

I don't see why you say Schrodinger's cat does not make sense?? There is a physical theory which describes what happens to Schrodinger's cat. There is no physical theory which deals with spaceships going faster than c. It is an experimental fact that spaceships cannot go faster than c.

Blogical said:
I agree with you Zapper Z, but the reason i asked this was they had used the scenario i posted to explain the fact that c is ultimate speed in the chapter Special relativity in the book,
"CONCEPTS OF MODERN PHYSICS"-
ARTHUR BEISER

And what's is the problem with that?

You need to understand what a "postulate" means. Einstein first made that postulate that c is the same in all reference frames. THEN he derived all the consequences of that postulate. He arrived at many predictions that have been confirmed, and it also solved for a very important problem in classical E&M, which is the non-covariant of Maxwell equations under Galilean transformation.

So the postulate that c is the limit in speed "makes sense" in the sense that it agrees with experiments!

BTW, do not bring up these "Schrodinger Cat" etc. argument just to justify what you are doing. You are doing nowhere near what is associated with these scientific arguments. You are new here. Think of the impression you are giving - a new member suddenly dictating how the forum should be run. It makes you come off to be utterly arrogant. Is this an accurate impression of you that you want us to have?

Zz.

micromass said:
I don't see why you say Schrodinger's cat does not make sense?? There is a physical theory which describes what happens to Schrodinger's cat. There is no physical theory which deals with spaceships going faster than c. It is an experimental fact that spaceships cannot go faster than c.
I thought i have mis-read Schrodinger's cat!
In his opening statement at copenhagen, he began with saying "consider the hypothetical scenario............"
Leave alone that, i also believe that the equipments required for conducting this experiment is of un-imaginable precision and advanced technology!
So educate me regarding the result of this experiment if it has been already conducted!
Leave this experiment, what about the other paradoxes?

Blogical said:
I thought i have mis-read Schrodinger's cat!
In his opening statement at copenhagen, he began with saying "consider the hypothetical scenario............"
Leave alone that, i also believe that the equipments required for conducting this experiment is of un-imaginable precision and advanced technology!
So educate me regarding the result of this experiment if it has been already conducted!
Leave this experiment, what about the other paradoxes?

This has nothing to do with the thread at hand. This thread was about moving faster than c, not about Schrodingers cat. I told you that the difference between Schrodingers cat and this thread was that Schrodingers cat has a physical theory which can be used to predict future events. Moving faster than c does not.

Your thread has been sufficiently answered. Do not start a new thread on this.

Related to Hypothetical scenario spacecracft moving faster than c

What is a hypothetical scenario of a spacecraft moving faster than the speed of light?

A hypothetical scenario of a spacecraft moving faster than the speed of light is known as faster-than-light (FTL) travel. It is a concept that goes against the principles of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel.

Is faster-than-light travel possible?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that faster-than-light travel is possible. It is still considered to be a hypothetical concept and has not been achieved by any spacecraft or technology.

What are the potential consequences of a spacecraft moving faster than the speed of light?

If faster-than-light travel were to become a reality, it would have significant consequences on our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe as we know them. It could also have implications for time travel and the concept of causality.

How does the concept of wormholes relate to faster-than-light travel?

Wormholes are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that connect two distant points. Some theories suggest that traveling through a wormhole could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. However, the existence of wormholes and their use for FTL travel is still purely theoretical and has not been proven.

What are some proposed methods for achieving faster-than-light travel?

Some proposed methods for achieving faster-than-light travel include using theoretical concepts like wormholes, Alcubierre drive, and warp drive. However, these are all still in the realm of science fiction and have not been proven to be possible in reality.