Hypothetical Nanotechnology Question

In summary, the conversation discussed the feasibility of using nanotechnology to refine uranium for the production of nuclear weapons. The use of advanced autonomous nanobots was deemed unlikely due to fundamental problems related to thermodynamics. However, the possibility of using crude machines to mechanically process ore in a fixed location was considered, although it was noted that this approach may not be the most effective. The potential for this scenario to become a reality within the next century was also questioned.
CaptainQuasar
A couple of questions in the context of constructing nuclear weapons:
  1. Would it be feasible to refine uranium nanotechnologically? It seems to me that a large number of nano-scale robots or other machines could directly, mechanically sort the atoms of uranium ore (or any other source) - the way that macro-scale machinery sorts postal mail, for example - to produce enriched uranium.
  2. Does this seem like something that could become possible within the next century?
I ask because I would think that nanotechnology and other technological developments will continuously lower the industrial barriers to producing nukes. I'm wondering if at some point it simply won't be possible to prevent most nations from becoming nuclear-armed.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainQuasar said:
Tee hee.

But seriously, it's not all that science-fictiony, is it?

No, but 99% of it is. I am actually somewhat involved in work on MEMS/NEMS and I can tell you that not even the most enthusiastic people in the field really believe that advanced autonomous nanobots that can manipulate matter at the molecular level will ever be possible (i.e. there is no risk of "nanogoo"), there are several fundamental problems; most of them related to basic thermodynamics.

f95toli said:
No, but 99% of it is. I am actually somewhat involved in work on MEMS/NEMS and I can tell you that not even the most enthusiastic people in the field really believe that advanced autonomous nanobots that can manipulate matter at the molecular level will ever be possible (i.e. there is no risk of "nanogoo"), there are several fundamental problems; most of them related to basic thermodynamics.

Cool! I was hoping this would be the right forum to run into someone like you. So then, definitely forget advanced autonomous robots, I've really only barely mentioned robots at all in passing. What about the analogs of simple machines related to mechanical processing of ore - drills, rotary mills, ball mills (though I suppose that might not work well nano-scale), something like a conveyor belt or sluice for moving around material. That could all be fixed in place like in a modern macro-scale mining complex, no advanced autonomous robots needed at all. And I realize nothing will work the same as it does at nano-scale and that there are issues like the reduced thermal conductance of phonon nodes in structures at that size.

No need to bring up advanced autonomous robots or nanogoo or the other sci fi technobabble, since I didn't in my question. All I'm really asking is if a few crude machines that might permit mechanical processing of ore might be possible one hundred years in the future. (If that's even the best way of approaching refining uranium with nanotech - that's just an example I was giving) Is that a 99% science fiction scenario?

Last edited:

Related to Hypothetical Nanotechnology Question

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a field of science and technology that deals with the manipulation and control of materials at the nanoscale, which is approximately 1 to 100 nanometers in size. It involves the design, production, and application of materials and devices at a molecular or atomic level.

2. How does nanotechnology work?

Nanotechnology works by manipulating atoms and molecules to create new materials and structures with unique properties and functions. This is achieved through various techniques such as top-down and bottom-up approaches, which involve cutting, shaping, and assembling materials at the nanoscale.

3. What are the potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications in various fields such as medicine, electronics, energy, and environmental remediation. Some examples include targeted drug delivery, improved solar panels, and water filtration systems.

4. What are the potential risks and concerns associated with nanotechnology?

Some potential risks and concerns associated with nanotechnology include the potential toxicity of nanomaterials, their impact on the environment, and the potential for unintended consequences. There are ongoing efforts to address these concerns and ensure the safe and responsible use of nanotechnology.

5. What is the current state of nanotechnology research and development?

Nanotechnology research and development is a rapidly advancing field, with new discoveries and breakthroughs being made all the time. It is a multidisciplinary field, with scientists and engineers from various disciplines working together to further our understanding and application of nanotechnology.