Hypothesis testing for std. deviation (SD)

In summary, when conducting a hypothesis test for the standard deviation of a population, there are different approaches that can be used. While some may use a sampling distribution of standard deviations, others may use the Chi square distribution. This is because the sample standard deviation and variance are related by a 1-to-1 function, making it simpler to formulate the test as a hypothesis about the variance. Additionally, different families of population distributions may have different sampling distributions for their sample standard deviations.
musicgold
Hi,

What I know: In a hypothesis test for the mean, we compare a sample mean with a hypothetical sampling distribution of means. And depending on how far it is away from the mean of the sampling distribution, we attribute it the probability of getting that value purely by chance.

What I don't understand - In a hypothesis test for the SD, why don't we compare the sample SD with a sampling distribution of SDs? (instead, I have seen people using the the Chi sq. distribution)

As per the applet on the following web page, even the sampling distribution of SDs appears normally distributed around the population SD value. So why is it not used?
[/PLAIN]
http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~west/ph/sampledist.html[/URL]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
Hi,

What I know: In a hypothesis test for the mean, we compare a sample mean with a hypothetical sampling distribution of means. And depending on how far it is away from the mean of the sampling distribution, we attribute it the probability of getting that value purely by chance.

If you did that, what hypothesis would you be testing?

What I don't understand - In a hypothesis test for the SD, why don't we compare the sample SD with a sampling distribution of SDs? (instead, I have seen people using the the Chi sq. distribution)

It isn't clear what hypothesis you are testing. What specific problem are you talking about that was solved using the Chi square distribution?

As per the applet on the following web page, even the sampling distribution of SDs appears normally distributed around the population SD value. So why is it not used?
[/PLAIN]
http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~west/ph/sampledist.html[/URL]
How did you use that applet to create a histogram of sample standard deviations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stephen,
Stephen Tashi said:
It isn't clear what hypothesis you are testing. What specific problem are you talking about that was solved using the Chi square distribution?

I am talking about the hypothesis test used to verify the standard deviation of a population.
Here is one example.

My question is why don't we use a sampling distribution of standard deviations (SD) to compare the sample SD, as we do for other statistics like mean or median. Why do we need to use the Chi Sq. statistic?

If f(x) is a 1-to-1 function and X is a random variable then the probability of the event X < v is the same as the probability of the event f(X) < f(v). If you are doing a hypothesis test about X and the distribution of f(X) is easiest to use then its simpler to formulate the test as a hypothesis about f(X). The sample standard deviation and the sample variance are related by a 1-to-1 function, so , when it's simpler, we can use the sample variance to test hypotheses about the sample standard deviation.

This PDF suggests that when sampling from normal populations we might also use the distribution of the standard deviation directly:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rNp_Tb9hssxhbRQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc&cad=rja

Different families of population distributions can have different families of sampling distributions for their sample variances and sample standard deviations. Normally distributed populations have chi-squared distributions for their sample variances. Other families of distributions may have sample variances that are not chi-squared. (So one cannot speak of "the" distribution of the sample standard deviation as if there was some type of distribution for it that applies to all situations.)

Likes 1 person

I would like to provide some clarification on hypothesis testing for standard deviation (SD). In a hypothesis test for the mean, we compare a sample mean with a hypothetical sampling distribution of means. This is because the mean is a measure of central tendency and we are interested in determining if our sample mean is significantly different from the population mean.

On the other hand, in a hypothesis test for the SD, we are not comparing a sample SD with a sampling distribution of SDs. This is because the SD is a measure of variability and not central tendency. Instead, we use the Chi-square distribution to determine the probability of getting our sample SD purely by chance. This is because the Chi-square distribution is commonly used for hypothesis testing of variances and standard deviations.

I understand your confusion regarding the normal distribution of the sampling distribution of SDs shown in the applet. This is because the applet is demonstrating the central limit theorem, which states that as sample size increases, the sampling distribution of the SD approaches a normal distribution. However, this does not mean that we can use the normal distribution for hypothesis testing of SDs.

In summary, hypothesis testing for SDs uses the Chi-square distribution because it is specifically designed for testing variances and standard deviations. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

Related to Hypothesis testing for std. deviation (SD)

1. What is the purpose of hypothesis testing for standard deviation?

Hypothesis testing for standard deviation is a statistical method used to determine if the observed data supports a specific hypothesis about the population standard deviation. It helps researchers make decisions about whether the observed differences in data are due to chance or if they are significant and meaningful.

2. How is hypothesis testing for standard deviation different from hypothesis testing for mean?

While hypothesis testing for mean focuses on differences in the average values of data, hypothesis testing for standard deviation focuses on differences in the variability or spread of the data. It helps researchers determine if there is a significant difference in the variability of two or more groups.

3. What is the process of hypothesis testing for standard deviation?

The process of hypothesis testing for standard deviation involves setting up a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis, selecting a significance level, calculating a test statistic, and comparing the test statistic to a critical value or p-value. If the test statistic falls within the critical region, the null hypothesis is rejected in favor of the alternative hypothesis.

4. What is the significance level in hypothesis testing for standard deviation?

The significance level, also known as alpha, is the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is actually true. It is typically set at 0.05 or 0.01, which means there is a 5% or 1% chance of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is true. A lower significance level makes it more difficult to reject the null hypothesis, resulting in a more conservative conclusion.

5. What is the importance of sample size in hypothesis testing for standard deviation?

The sample size is an important consideration in hypothesis testing for standard deviation because a larger sample size can increase the power of the test, making it more likely to detect a significant difference in standard deviation. A smaller sample size may result in a lack of power, making it more difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from the data.