Hyperbolic tangent function for terminal velocity with Vo>Vt

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the speed of an object after it enters a new medium with a higher density. The equation for terminal velocity assumes an initial velocity of 0, but in this situation, the initial velocity is higher than the calculated terminal velocity. The question is how to calculate the speed in this scenario, and there is some confusion about the role of time in the equation. The definition of terminal velocity is when the forces of drag and gravity are equal, resulting in a constant velocity. The initial velocity may not play a role in this equation, but further research is needed.
birk
Hi! First post on this forum, though not the first time visiting :)

I am working on a model of an object falling from one layer of air density into another layer with a higher density, effectively changing the acceleration from positive to negative instantly. (Somehow I am thinking of positive as the downwards direction here). The transition between the two "zones" is instantaneous. (One way to think of it could be an object (that sinks) that falls at a high velocity into water and is abruptly decelerated.)

My question is: How does one calculate the speed of the object after it has entered the new medium? I have seen the following equation for terminal velocity on wikipedia and other sources:

989f4b502e83f94a99e0f04b32d52cbf.png

but this assumes an initial velocity of v_0=0

In my situation the initial velocity when entering the new medium is nearly the double of the terminal velocity that I have calculated from the first part:

copy.png

One solution I tried, which I quickly realized how stupid was, was to multiply the function by -1, but this left me with a terminal velocity that increased when the drag coefficient was increased, which is not really what one wants.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no background for this subject. However, it seems strange to me that the terminal velocity depends on t (which I presume is time).

mathman said:
I have no background for this subject. However, it seems strange to me that the terminal velocity depends on t (which I presume is time).

To answer your question: You are right, the terminal velocity does not depend on t (time). It depends in the various aerodynamic properties of the object falling and the medium that object is falling through + initial velocity. The definition of terminal velocity is that the forces from aerodynamic resistance (drag) are equal to the gravitational forces pulling the object down, effectively rendering a=0 and a constant, "terminal" velocity.

My question is rather regarding the velocity of an object tending towards a terminal velocity from a set t=0 with an initial v0.
For the above equation to work properly, it seems as if V0 HAS TO BE 0, which is obviously not working in my scenario. I found something that could indicate a possible answer:

https://books.google.no/books?id=iYALAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA188 (First third of the page, but it is somewhat unclear to me...)

but I feel I am in deep waters on this, so any help would be hugely appreciated!

Based on elementary considerations I don't understand why the initial velocity would matter. In free fall objects usually start at zero velocity and speed up due to the acceleration of gravity until terminal velocity is reached.

1. What is the hyperbolic tangent function and how is it related to terminal velocity with initial velocity (Vo) greater than terminal velocity (Vt)?

The hyperbolic tangent function, also known as tanh, is a mathematical function used to describe the relationship between an object's velocity and time during an acceleration or deceleration process. In the case of an object with an initial velocity (Vo) greater than the terminal velocity (Vt), the tanh function can be used to determine the object's terminal velocity as it reaches a state of constant velocity.

2. How does the hyperbolic tangent function account for air resistance in determining terminal velocity?

The hyperbolic tangent function takes into account the effects of air resistance, also known as drag, on an object's velocity. As an object accelerates, the force of air resistance increases until it reaches a point where it is equal to the force of gravity. At this point, the object's velocity remains constant, which is known as terminal velocity.

3. Can the hyperbolic tangent function be used for objects with initial velocity less than terminal velocity?

Yes, the hyperbolic tangent function can be used for objects with any initial velocity, regardless of whether it is greater or less than the terminal velocity. However, the function is most commonly used for objects with initial velocity greater than terminal velocity, as these objects experience an acceleration or deceleration process before reaching terminal velocity.

4. How does the hyperbolic tangent function differ from other functions used to calculate terminal velocity?

The hyperbolic tangent function differs from other functions used to calculate terminal velocity, such as the quadratic function, because it takes into account the effects of air resistance on an object's velocity. This makes it a more accurate representation of real-world scenarios, as air resistance is a significant factor in determining an object's terminal velocity.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the hyperbolic tangent function to calculate terminal velocity?

Like any mathematical function, the hyperbolic tangent function has its limitations and assumptions. It assumes that the object is experiencing a constant acceleration or deceleration and that the effects of air resistance can be accurately represented by a single drag coefficient. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect an object's velocity, such as changes in altitude or wind conditions.