Hyperbolic space simulation in VR

In summary, there is a simulation of hyperbolic space that is being discussed. The speaker is interested in the technical aspect and wonders if light bending calculations are necessary for the simulation. The other person explains that the distortion is due to embedding the hyperbolic space in an Euclidean model and suggests that spending enough time in the simulation may lead to a change in perception. They also mention enjoying Matt Parker's videos and his book on the topic.
VladZH
I have come across an interesting simulation of hyperbolic space. I can't totally wrap my hand around it, though. But I am interested in technical part of it. As far as I see no object in the space would get curved when you are moving. The visual deformation is the result of bent light reached our eyes. Am I right? Do you really need do light bending calculations to do the simulation or there is another approach?

Likes jim mcnamara
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, the distortion is because you are embedding the hyperbolic space in an Euclidean model (in your visual cortex). You are inferring the shape and distance from the parallax of your binocular vision conditioned by your experience driven mental model of space. I suspect that if you spend enough time moving about in the VR your mental processing will start to adjust. You'll know when that's happening when you are very disoriented for a while after a session because you're changing back to flat Euclidean space.

Likes scottdave
This looks good. I will watch it later today. I enjoy almost all of Matt Parker's videos. I also enjoyed his book: Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension. A lot of the book is available online, on his website. http://makeanddo4d.com
I prefer reading the paper versions of books, though.

Related to Hyperbolic space simulation in VR

1. What is hyperbolic space simulation in VR?

Hyperbolic space simulation in VR is a virtual reality experience where users can explore and interact with a simulated hyperbolic space, which is a type of non-Euclidean geometry. It allows for a unique and immersive experience that is not possible in traditional 3D environments.

2. How does hyperbolic space simulation work?

Hyperbolic space simulation works by using mathematical algorithms to create a virtual environment that follows the rules of hyperbolic geometry. This includes concepts such as negative curvature and parallel lines that converge. The user can then navigate and interact with this simulated space using VR technology.

3. What are the applications of hyperbolic space simulation in VR?

Hyperbolic space simulation in VR has various applications, including education, gaming, and scientific visualization. It can be used to teach complex mathematical concepts, create immersive gaming experiences, and visualize scientific data in a unique and interactive way.

4. What are the benefits of using VR for hyperbolic space simulation?

Using VR for hyperbolic space simulation allows for a more immersive and interactive experience compared to traditional 2D simulations. It also allows users to explore and interact with hyperbolic space in a more natural and intuitive way, enhancing the learning and entertainment value of the simulation.

5. Are there any limitations to hyperbolic space simulation in VR?

One limitation of hyperbolic space simulation in VR is the hardware and software requirements. It may require high-performance computers and specialized VR equipment, making it inaccessible to some users. Additionally, although it can provide a unique and immersive experience, it may not accurately represent the true characteristics of hyperbolic space.