Hyperbolic Distance and double Cross Ratio.

In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of hyperbolic distance given by the cross ratio to calculate the hyperbolic distance between p(z,f(z)) for some z in a hyperbolic line that is invariant under the isometry f. The fixed points of f are found to be (1+-(sqrt(5))/2, and the cross ratio definition is used to calculate the distance. The person asking for help is seeking assistance with their questions in the general math forum for an exam on Thursday.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
The question is as follows (by the way I'm asking here, cause the calculus and beyond forum seems to be primarily concerned with Calculus,DE, LA and AA):
let f(z)=(2z+1)/(z+1) be an isometry of the hyperbolic plane H={z| Im(z)>0}.
let l be a hyperbolic line in H which is invariatn under f, calculate the hyperbolic distance:
p(z,f(z)) for some z in l.

Now I want to use here the definition of the hyperbolic distance given by the cross ratio.

So I found the fixed points of f, which are: w=(1+-(sqrt(5))/2, those points are in l (or so I think), from here we can use the cross ration definition, i.e:
p(z,f(z))=[tex]log(D(w_1,z,f(z),w_2)[/tex] where D is the double cross ration defined by:
D(z1,z2,z3,z4)=(z1-z3)(z2-z4)/((z1-z4)(z2-z3))
from here just plug and go, but is my appraoch correct?

thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can someone please hekp me with my questions in the three threads I've opened in the general math forum?

The exam is on thursday, and I need as much help as I can have.

Related to Hyperbolic Distance and double Cross Ratio.

1. What is hyperbolic distance?

Hyperbolic distance is a measure of distance in hyperbolic geometry, which is a non-Euclidean geometry that differs from the familiar Euclidean geometry in terms of its parallel postulate. In hyperbolic geometry, the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line, but a curved line called a geodesic. Hyperbolic distance is the length of this geodesic between two points.

2. How is hyperbolic distance calculated?

Hyperbolic distance can be calculated using the hyperbolic metric, which is a function that assigns a distance value to every pair of points in hyperbolic space. This metric takes into account the curvature of space and can be expressed using the double cross ratio, which is a geometric property that relates four points on a circle.

3. What is the double cross ratio?

The double cross ratio is a geometric property that relates four points on a circle. It is defined as the ratio of the cross ratios of two pairs of points on the circle. This property is important in hyperbolic geometry because it can be used to calculate hyperbolic distance and other geometric measurements.

4. How is the double cross ratio used to measure hyperbolic distance?

The double cross ratio is used in the hyperbolic metric, which is a function that assigns a distance value to every pair of points in hyperbolic space. By using the double cross ratio, the hyperbolic metric is able to take into account the curvature of space and accurately measure the shortest distance between two points, known as the hyperbolic distance.

5. What are some applications of hyperbolic distance and the double cross ratio?

Hyperbolic distance and the double cross ratio have various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, they are used to study hyperbolic geometry and its properties. In physics, they are used in the theory of relativity and in computer science, they are used in algorithms for data compression and network routing.