Hyperbolic cosine looks like a parabola

In summary, the hyperbolic cosine function graph may appear similar to a parabola due to its concave upward shape and increasing rate, but it is actually very different as it increases exponentially rather than quadratically. This can be seen through its Taylor series expansion.
Mathguy15
Hello,

I wanted to know why the graph of the hyperbolic cosine function (1/2(e^x)+1/2(e^-x)) looks like a parabola. Is there any reason for this? I suppose the individual exponential functions both go to infinity in a symmetric way... but I wanted a better reason :).

Thanks,
Mathguy

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathguy15 said:
Hello,

I wanted to know why the graph of the hyperbolic cosine function (1/2(e^x)+1/2(e^-x)) looks like a parabola. Is there any reason for this? I suppose the individual exponential functions both go to infinity in a symmetric way... but I wanted a better reason :).

Thanks,
Mathguy

They are only qualitatively similar. Cosh(x) looks like a parabola in the sense that it is concave upward and increases faster than linear, but in fact it is very different from a parabola. The height of a parabola (like y=x^2) increases as x^2 as you move away from 0. y=cosh(x) increases exponentially as x gets large. At x=100, the value x^2 is 10^4, while the value of cosh(x) is about 10^43, which is hugely larger.

The Taylor series for ##\cosh x## is ##1 + x^2/2! + x^4/4! + x^6/6! + \cdots##.

So the graph of ##y = \cosh x## does look similar to the parabola ##y = 1 + x^2/2## when ##|x|## is small, but not when ##|x|## is big.

Related to Hyperbolic cosine looks like a parabola

1. What is hyperbolic cosine?

Hyperbolic cosine, or cosh(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle with a hyperbolic angle.

2. How is hyperbolic cosine different from regular cosine?

While regular cosine is based on the unit circle and is limited to values between -1 and 1, hyperbolic cosine is based on the hyperbola and can take on any real value.

3. Why does hyperbolic cosine look like a parabola?

Hyperbolic cosine looks like a parabola because its graph has a similar shape to that of a parabola, with a concave-upward curve and a minimum point at the origin.

4. What are the main properties of hyperbolic cosine?

The main properties of hyperbolic cosine include being an even function, having no real roots, and being infinitely differentiable.

5. How is hyperbolic cosine used in real life?

Hyperbolic cosine has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, including modeling the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator and calculating the electric field of a charged rod.