What is its speed after traveling 1.00 m on the rough surface?

In summary, the first question deals with a block of mass 0.6 kg sliding down a frictionless ramp and then onto a rough horizontal surface. The question asks for the speed of the block after traveling 1.00 m on the rough surface and the distance it travels before stopping. The second question involves an electron moving at a speed of 0.995c and asks for its kinetic energy and the percentage error resulting from using the classical expression to calculate it. The solution for the first question involves using energy calculations and understanding the parts of the formula for kinetic energy, while the solution for the second question requires using the formula for kinetic energy.
cc21392001
physics homework help ASAP thx!

thx so much, here they are:

48. A block of mass 0.6 kg slides 6.0 m down a frictionless ramp inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal. It then travels on a rough horizontal surface where coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.50.
a) what is its speed after traveling 1.00 m on the rough surface?
b) what distance does it travel on this horizontal furface before stopping?

68. An electron moves with a speed of 0.995c.
a) what is its kinetic energy?
b) if you use the classical expression to calculate its kinetic energy, what percentage error would result?

k = mc^2((1/(1-(v/c)^2))-1)

thx a lot

Physics news on Phys.org

Greetings !

First of all welcome to PF ! And, as a member, you should
know that there are certain guidelines in every forum
here and the main guideline of this forum is that you
have to show your attempt at a solution and not just
ask for one.

I'll give you some general hints though - in the first
question you'd better use energy calcs. Find the energy
at the bottom and think how you can compare it to the
energy lost due to friction on the surface.

In the second, well, just use the formula after you
understand what its parts mean. :wink:

Live long and prosper.

oh ok

well for the first one i found the frictional force that's retarding the energy of the object, so that's friction coefficient x normal force x distance, 0.5 x 0.6 x 9.8 x cos20 = 2.76, the distance is one.
then i subtract the total work which is 0.6 x 9.8 x 6sin20 = 12.07 with 2.76 and get 9.31 J. ok, now wut happens? i spent about 3 hours on this problem already, please help!

Originally posted by cc21392001
well for the first one i found the frictional force that's retarding the energy of the object, so that's friction coefficient x normal force x distance
Correct, but that's happening on the horizontal part, not the ramp, right? Please redo.
then i subtract the total work
OK.
ok, now wut happens?
You should use the formula for kinetic energy.
[tex]
T = \frac{1}{2}mv^2.
[/tex]

Originally posted by cc21392001
oh ok

well for the first one i found the frictional force that's retarding the energy of the object, so that's friction coefficient x normal force x distance, 0.5 x 0.6 x 9.8 x cos20 = 2.76...

The ramp is frictionless...
..., the distance is one.
then i subtract the total work which is 0.6 x 9.8 x 6sin20 = 12.07 with 2.76 and get 9.31 J. ok, now wut happens? i spent about 3 hours on this problem already, please help!

You've spent 3 hours on it and still didn't realize the ramp is frictionless? Maybe your problem is English.

naw man the problem says "on the rough surface"

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, usually expressed in units of distance per time.

2. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance / time.

3. What is considered a "rough surface" in terms of speed?

A rough surface is one that has irregularities or obstacles that can affect the movement of an object. This can include surfaces with bumps, friction, or uneven terrain.

4. Why is speed affected by traveling on a rough surface?

Traveling on a rough surface can affect speed because it requires more energy and effort for an object to move through obstacles. This can result in a slower speed compared to traveling on a smooth surface.

5. How can the speed after traveling 1.00 m on a rough surface be measured?

The speed after traveling 1.00 m on a rough surface can be measured using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the object to travel that distance. The speed can then be calculated using the formula: speed = 1.00 m / time.