Hydroxide Radical: Exploring Alkaline Properties of Water

In summary, the walter machine is not really effective in alkalinizing water and it's not good for our health to have alkaline water.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Recently I'm studying an ionizer water machine. This machine claims (it's what it says) that it can turn 'ordinary' water into alkaline water and good for health. It's not the machine that I ask, but it's the alkaline property that I want to know.

Why is the walter alkalinized? Is it OH-?
I read that alkalinized water is good for health
And I also read that Hydroxide is a radical, and radical is not good for our health.

Perhaps someone can explain to me, where does the alkaline property come from?
Is OH- is really bad for our health.
Or is OH neutral is the radical agent while OH- is actually good.
Thanks for any explanations. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You've exceeded your understanding --- back up and digest things a bit.

Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
Recently I'm studying an ionizer water machine. This machine claims (it's what it says) that it can turn 'ordinary' water into alkaline water and good for health. It's not the machine that I ask, but it's the alkaline property that I want to know.

Why is the walter alkalinized? Is it OH-?
I read that alkalinized water is good for health
And I also read that Hydroxide is a radical, and radical is not good for our health.

Perhaps someone can explain to me, where does the alkaline property come from?
Is OH- is really bad for our health.
Or is OH neutral is the radical agent while OH- is actually good.
Thanks for any explanations. :smile:
OH(-) which is anion is *entirely* different entity than OH(*) which is radical.
Electrolysis of water contaminated with certain species like chlorides would make it alkaline but would also produce some free chlorine and hypochlorites in it.
These are killing bacterias so such method would be useful in some Third World countries where access to clean drinking water is not guarateed.
In First World such water would most likely be harmful comparing to ordinary tap water.
So, assuming that you live in First World, you have fallen victim of common quackery.
You can safely dispose of your miracle doing gizmos into your bin basket.

Likes Stephanus
Martin0001 said:
OH(-) which is anion is *entirely* different entity than OH(*) which is radical.
Yes, I just read that this morning. Now, as Bystander tell me to go back, I'm reading 'How to calculate pH'.
Thanks for your respond.

Related to Hydroxide Radical: Exploring Alkaline Properties of Water

1. What is a hydroxide radical?

A hydroxide radical is a chemical species that is formed when a molecule of water loses a hydrogen atom. It is represented by the symbol OH- and is highly reactive due to its unpaired electron.

2. How does a hydroxide radical affect the alkalinity of water?

A hydroxide radical is a strong base, meaning it has a high pH and can neutralize acids. When present in water, it can increase the pH and make the water more alkaline.

3. What are the properties of water that make it able to form hydroxide radicals?

Water is a polar molecule, meaning it has a slightly positive and slightly negative end. This allows it to easily form hydrogen bonds with other water molecules, which can then lead to the formation of hydroxide radicals.

4. How is the presence of hydroxide radicals detected in water?

Hydroxide radicals are highly reactive and have a short lifespan, making them difficult to directly detect. However, their presence can be inferred through the changes in pH and alkalinity of the water.

5. How can we use hydroxide radicals to our advantage?

Hydroxide radicals have many industrial and environmental applications. They can be used to degrade pollutants and remove harmful chemicals from water. They are also used in the production of certain materials and in wastewater treatment processes.