Hydrostatic Pressure on Curved Circular Surface

In summary: Please have a look at the attached figure . The cylinder is lying on a frictionless surface with liquid of density 2ρ on left and liquid of density 3ρ on right . The cylinder is in equilibrium and our task is to find 'h' .I am having problem applying this result to the situation in the figure.I know how to solve this problem wihout much maths,but would like to solve it with the above mentioned integration approach .Let h = x +RUsing the result in post 8 , doing the horizontal force balance on the cylinder## \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gx^2 + \frac{1}{2}(2ρ
Tom Hardy

Homework Statement

Picture:[/B]
5f5nTA2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
IuNr5xf.jpg

Can someone please help..There's no answers and I think my answer is very wrong, as you can see I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks

Edit:

Where it says net force I meant to say net force per unit width.

Edit2: My integration is wrong, it should read Density*gravitational constant*R^2(-1+cos(sin^-1(h/R)))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tom,

The pressure at a given depth is isotropic, meaning that it acts equally in all directions (i.e., perpendicular to any surface of arbitrary orientation). You correctly determined the force per unit width between Θ and Θ+dΘ as ##\rho g z Rd\theta##, where z is the local depth. This pressure force is acting perpendicular to the surface of the gate at depth z. So, you need to resolve this local force into components in the horizontal and vertical directions. You then integrate the horizontal and vertical components over the wetted surface of the gate.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Hi Tom,

The pressure at a given depth is isotropic, meaning that it acts equally in all directions (i.e., perpendicular to any surface of arbitrary orientation). You correctly determined the force per unit width between Θ and Θ+dΘ as ##\rho g z Rd\theta##, where z is the local depth. This pressure force is acting perpendicular to the surface of the gate at depth z. So, you need to resolve this local force into components in the horizontal and vertical directions. You then integrate the horizontal and vertical components over the wetted surface of the gate.

Chet
Hi Chet,

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it a lot. Does this solution look better to you? (the first F/width is in the x direction and the one after in the y direction).

bRIa9HD.jpg

Hi Tom,

This solution really isn't correct. But I think I can help you to arrive at the correct solution by asking you a sequence of leading questions.

At a given angle Θ, what is the depth of the location on the gate below the surface (in terms of R, h, and Θ)?

After you answer this, more questions to follow.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Hi Tom,

This solution really isn't correct. But I think I can help you to arrive at the correct solution by asking you a sequence of leading questions.

At a given angle Θ, what is the depth of the location on the gate below the surface (in terms of R, h, and Θ)?

After you answer this, more questions to follow.

Chet

Thanks for sticking with this, I thought h was the local depth (variable?), maybe I misunderstood the diagram. If we call h is a constant (representing the distance between the crest level and the surface of the water) then the local depth would just be [tex] z = h - Rsin \Theta [/tex]
So the force per unit width acting perpendicular to the gate at [itex] d \Theta [/itex] would be [itex] \rho gzRd \Theta = \rho gR(h-R \sin \Theta) d \Theta [/itex] is that correct? If so, should I resolve that into it's horizontal and vertical components and then integrate from there?

Tom! You're the man! Excellent!

The answer to your question is yes.

Chet

Likes Tom Hardy
Chestermiller said:
Tom! You're the man! Excellent!

The answer to your question is yes.

Chet

Awesome, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Hello Chet

Should the horizontal force per unit width on the curved surface be ##\frac{1}{2}ρgh^2## ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Hello Chet

Should the horizontal force per unit width on the curved surface be ##\frac{1}{2}ρgh^2## ?
Hi Tanya.

Yes. That's what Tom's integral comes out to be. And, of course, the answer could have been obtained much more easily in another way (which is the way, I'm sure, that you thought of). But I thought it would be useful for Tom to continue evaluating it by the integration. Would you like to reveal for Tom the much simpler way you figured it?

Chet

Please have a look at the attached figure . The cylinder is lying on a frictionless surface with liquid of density 2ρ on left and liquid of density 3ρ on right . The cylinder is in equilibrium and our task is to find 'h' .

I am having problem applying this result to the situation in the figure.I know how to solve this problem wihout much maths,but would like to solve it with the above mentioned integration approach .

Let h = x +R

Using the result in post 8 , doing the horizontal force balance on the cylinder

## \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gx^2 + \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2 = \frac{1}{2}(3ρ)gR^2 ##

This gives , ## x = \frac{R}{\sqrt{2}} ## and ## h = R + \frac{R}{\sqrt{2}}## .

But value of h should come out to be ##\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}R## .

Could you help me in figuring out the mistake ?

Attachments

• cylinder.PNG
    cylinder.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 491
Tanya Sharma said:
Please have a look at the attached figure . The cylinder is lying on a frictionless surface with liquid of density 2ρ on left and liquid of density 3ρ on right . The cylinder is in equilibrium and our task is to find 'h' .

I am having problem applying this result to the situation in the figure.I know how to solve this problem wihout much maths,but would like to solve it with the above mentioned integration approach .

Let h = x +R

Using the result in post 8 , doing the horizontal force balance on the cylinder

## \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gx^2 + \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2 = \frac{1}{2}(3ρ)gR^2 ##

This gives , ## x = \frac{R}{\sqrt{2}} ## and ## h = R + \frac{R}{\sqrt{2}}## .

But value of h should come out to be ##\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}R## .

Could you help me in figuring out the mistake ?
Your error is on the left hand side of the equation. It should read: ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)g(R+x)^2=\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gh^2##

Chet

Likes Tanya Sharma
I understand what you are saying , but I think i haven't explained myself properly .

I will go a bit slowly in order to find the mistake . Isn't the horizontal force exerted by fluid on the left side from bottom till height R = ## \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2 ## ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
I understand what you are saying , but I think i haven't explained myself properly .

I will go a bit slowly in order to find the mistake . Isn't the horizontal force exerted by fluid on the left side from bottom till height R = ## \frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2 ## ?
No it isn't. What is the pressure at height R?

Chet

Likes Tanya Sharma

I have found the error in the maths involved in the problem . Now I would like to understand it a bit conceptually .

If the liquid on the left side were up to height R only , then the horizontal force would have been ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2## . Right ?

But this changes (i.e force due to liquid from bottom to height R ) from ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2## to ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)g(R^2+2xR)## , if the liquid on the left has height h = x +R , x ≥ 0 .

Could you explain this qualitatively.

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:

I have found the error in the maths involved in the problem . Now I would like to understand it a bit conceptually .

If the liquid on the left side were up to height R only , then the horizontal force would have been ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2## . Right ?

But this changes (i.e force due to liquid from bottom to height R ) from ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)gR^2## to ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)g(R^2+2xR)## , if the liquid on the left has height h = x +R , x ≥ 0 .

Could you explain this qualitatively.
So the real question is, "what does ##\frac{1}{2}(2ρ)g(2xR)## represent physically?"

What if we wrote this in a slightly different way: ##[(2ρ)gx]R##? What does ##[(2ρ)gx]## represent physically?

Chet

No . This isn't what I intended to ask . Sorry for not being clear with my questions .

Nevertheless , I have found the error in my reasoning .

Thank you very much :oldsmile: . I am glad I discussed my doubts with you .

Related to Hydrostatic Pressure on Curved Circular Surface

1. What is hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface?

Hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface refers to the force exerted by a fluid at rest on a curved surface, perpendicular to the surface. This pressure is a result of the weight of the fluid above the surface and is dependent on the depth and density of the fluid.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure calculated on a curved circular surface?

The hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface is calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P represents the pressure, ρ represents the density of the fluid, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, and h represents the depth of the fluid at the point of interest.

3. What factors affect hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface?

The factors that affect hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface include the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the curvature of the surface. Other factors such as the acceleration due to gravity and the atmospheric pressure may also have an impact.

4. How does hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface differ from that on a flat surface?

On a curved circular surface, the hydrostatic pressure is not constant as it varies with depth and curvature. On a flat surface, however, the hydrostatic pressure is constant and is only dependent on the depth of the fluid.

5. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface?

Hydrostatic pressure on a curved circular surface has many practical applications, such as in designing and constructing dams, water tanks, and submarine structures. It is also used in calculating the buoyant force on ships and other floating objects, as well as in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes and tubes.