Hydrostatic Pressure Curved Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the hydrostatic force of a curved submerged surface, with the main focus on deriving the mathematical equation for this force. The conversation covers the hydrostatic equation, pressure forces, and unit normals to the surface. It also includes a step-by-step derivation of the force equation, with an emphasis on the center of mass.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have been reading and reading for a clean explanation for the hydrostatic force of a curved submerged 2-D (or 3-D if you're up to it) surface. I really don't care what the curve looks like: quadratic, circular, partway sinusoidal, etc. All articles I read involve the centroid, but could someone help me through a derivation where we do all the math ourself? If so you choose the geometry (or I can) and let's start into it!

Thanks either way!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure increases with depth according to the hydrostatic equation, correct? The pressure acts on every surface in the direction normal to that surface, correct? So the pressure force on a differential area dA is ##p\vec{n}dA##, where ##\vec{n}## is a unit normal to the surface. You need to add up (integrate) all these pressure forces vectorially.

Chet

Likes member 428835
Chestermiller said:
The pressure increases with depth according to the hydrostatic equation, correct?
Chet
Correct. So the pressure at any submerged point is ##p = \rho g d## where ##p## is pressure, ##\rho## is density, ##g## is acceleration of gravity, and ##d## is the vertical distance submerged?

Chestermiller said:
The pressure acts on every surface in the direction normal to that surface, correct? So the pressure force on a differential area dA is ##p\vec{n}dA##, where ##\vec{n}## is a unit normal to the surface. You need to add up (integrate) all these pressure forces vectorially.

So pressure is then $$\vec{p} = \iint_A \rho g d \cdot \vec{n} dA$$ (I used the ##\cdot## so my depth variable doesn't look like a differential, not to mistake it with a dot product).

joshmccraney said:
Correct. So the pressure at any submerged point is ##p = \rho g d## where ##p## is pressure, ##\rho## is density, ##g## is acceleration of gravity, and ##d## is the vertical distance submerged?
So pressure is then $$\vec{p} = \iint_A \rho g d \cdot \vec{n} dA$$ (I used the ##\cdot## so my depth variable doesn't look like a differential, not to mistake it with a dot product).
Correction to your equation:
$$\vec{F} = \int_A \rho g z \vec{n} dA$$
OK. Let's take a simple example. Let the area of interest be parallel to the y axis, and have a width w. Let the equation for the surface be x = x(z). Then ##dA=w\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dz)^2}##. What is the equation for the unit normal to the contour?

Chestermiller said:
Correction to your equation:
$$\vec{F} = \int_A \rho g z \vec{n} dA$$
Of course, not sure why I didn't put a force.

Chestermiller said:
OK. Let's take a simple example. Let the area of interest be parallel to the y axis, and have a width w. Let the equation for the surface be x = x(z). Then ##dA=w\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dz)^2}##. What is the equation for the unit normal to the contour?
I think ##\vec{n} = - \hat{j}##. I can't really picture the surface you describe though. Is it something like a cylinder in the ##y## direction with an arbitrary cross section that is a function of ##x## and ##z##?

joshmccraney said:
Of course, not sure why I didn't put a force.I think ##\vec{n} = - \hat{j}##. I can't really picture the surface you describe though. Is it something like a cylinder in the ##y## direction with an arbitrary cross section that is a function of ##x## and ##z##?
At every value of y, x is the same function of z. On the surface of interest, y runs from 0 to W.

The unit normal to the surface is not j. The unit tangent to the surface is ##\vec{t}=\frac{(dx)\vec{i}+(dz)\vec{k}}{\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dz)^2}}##. The unit normal to the surface is then $$\vec{n}=\frac{(dz)\vec{i}-(dx)\vec{k}}{\sqrt{(dx)^2+(dz)^2}}$$

So, if we call p(z) is the pressure at depth z, what is the resultant force vector acting on the surface, according to our integral?

Ohhhhhh I think I see the shape you're describing now, and you're talking about the sides? Is the force then $$\vec{F} = \int_0^W \int_{z_0}^{z_1} \rho g z \left( \hat{i} - x'(z) \hat{k} \right) \, dz dw$$

joshmccraney said:
Ohhhhhh I think I see the shape you're describing now, and you're talking about the sides? Is the force then $$\vec{F} = \int_0^W \int_{z_0}^{z_1} \rho g z \left( \hat{i} - x'(z) \hat{k} \right) \, dz dw$$
Very nice. Now the w can be integrated immediately, and the x component of the force can be obtained as an exact differential. The z component should be partially handled using integration by parts. Check out the x component carefully. You should be able to see some kind of center of mass thing from this. BTW, if you are integrating from z0 to z1, you need to include the pressure a z0 in the pressure expression at depth z.

Chet

$$\vec{F} = \int_0^W \int_{z_0}^{z_1} \rho g z \left( \hat{i} - x'(z) \hat{k} \right) \, dz dw =\\ W g \rho \hat{i}\int_{z_0}^{z_1} z \, dz - W g \rho \hat{k}\int_{z_0}^{z_1}\rho z x'(z) \, dz =\\ W g \rho \hat{i}\int_{z_0}^{z_1} z \, dz - W g \rho \hat{k} \left( z_1 x(z_1)-z_0 x(z_0) - \int_{z_0}^{z_1}x \, dz\right)$$
where I believe the ##z \, dz## integral can be rewritten as a center of mass. You agree with this?

joshmccraney said:
$$\vec{F} = \int_0^W \int_{z_0}^{z_1} \rho g z \left( \hat{i} - x'(z) \hat{k} \right) \, dz dw =\\ W g \rho \hat{i}\int_{z_0}^{z_1} z \, dz - W g \rho \hat{k}\int_{z_0}^{z_1}\rho z x'(z) \, dz =\\ W g \rho \hat{i}\int_{z_0}^{z_1} z \, dz - W g \rho \hat{k} \left( z_1 x(z_1)-z_0 x(z_0) - \int_{z_0}^{z_1}x \, dz\right)$$
where I believe the ##z \, dz## integral can be rewritten as a center of mass. You agree with this?
Yes. It's going to be ##\Delta z## times the pressure at the center of mass.

Likes member 428835

Related to Hydrostatic Pressure Curved Surface

1. What is hydrostatic pressure on a curved surface?

Hydrostatic pressure on a curved surface refers to the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest on a curved surface due to the weight of the fluid above it. This pressure is perpendicular to the surface and is dependent on the depth and density of the fluid.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure on a curved surface calculated?

The hydrostatic pressure on a curved surface can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the depth of the fluid at the point of interest.

3. What is the difference between hydrostatic pressure on a flat surface and a curved surface?

On a flat surface, the hydrostatic pressure is constant and is equal to the pressure at the surface. However, on a curved surface, the pressure varies depending on the depth and curvature of the surface. The pressure is also perpendicular to the surface on a curved surface, whereas it is parallel to the surface on a flat surface.

4. How does the shape of a curved surface affect the hydrostatic pressure?

The shape of a curved surface has a direct impact on the hydrostatic pressure. A concave surface will have a higher pressure at its center compared to its edges, while a convex surface will have a lower pressure at its center. The curvature of the surface also affects the distribution of pressure, with a sharper curvature resulting in a steeper pressure gradient.

5. How is hydrostatic pressure on a curved surface used in real-life applications?

Hydrostatic pressure on curved surfaces is important in various fields, such as engineering, geology, and marine science. It is used to calculate the stability of structures, such as dams and ships, and to determine the forces acting on submerged objects. It is also used in the design of pipelines and other hydraulic systems.