Hydrostatic Pressure and Force

In summary, the hydrostatic pressure on the bottom of the tank is 187.5 lbs/ft^2 and the hydrostatic force is 1875 lbs. The equations used to find these values are P=g*\rho*h and F=m*g=g*\rho*A*h, where \rho=62.5 lbs/ft^3 and g=32 ft/s^2. The mistake in the initial attempt was including the force of gravity twice.

Homework Statement

An aquarium 5ft long, 2 ft wide, and 3 ft deep is full of water. Find the hydrostatic pressure and the hydrostatic force on the bottom of the tank.

Homework Equations

[tex]P=g*\rho*h[/tex]

[tex]F=m*g=g*\rho*A*h[/tex]

[tex]\rho=62.5 \frac{lbs}{ft^3}[/tex]

[tex]g=32 \frac{ft}{s^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P=(32)(62.5)(3)=6000 \frac{lbs}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]F=(32)(62.5)(10)(3) = 60000 \frac{ft*lbs}{s^2}[/tex]

I know the answers should be [tex]187.5 \frac{lbs}{ft^2}[/tex] and [tex]1875 lbs[/tex], respectively, so I've done these problems wrong. They seem so simple though that I'm thrown for a loop. Are my equations wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I realized that since I was dealing with lbs, I was including the force of gravity a second time!

Related to Hydrostatic Pressure and Force

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure calculated?

Hydrostatic pressure can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the fluid column.

3. What is the relationship between hydrostatic pressure and depth?

The hydrostatic pressure at a certain depth in a fluid is directly proportional to the depth, meaning the deeper the depth, the greater the hydrostatic pressure.

4. How does hydrostatic pressure affect objects submerged in a fluid?

Objects submerged in a fluid will experience a net force due to the difference in hydrostatic pressure on the top and bottom surfaces of the object. This force is known as buoyant force.

5. Can hydrostatic pressure be used for practical applications?

Yes, hydrostatic pressure is used in many practical applications, such as hydraulic systems, diving equipment, and measuring blood pressure. It is also used in engineering calculations for designing structures that can withstand varying levels of hydrostatic pressure.