Hydrostatic Equation/Finding depth

In summary, the necessary depth to reach 2 atm of pressure relative to the surface is 20.6 meters. This can be calculated using the hydrostatic equation, where pressure is equal to the specific weight of water multiplied by the change in altitude. With a constant density assumption for water, the equation becomes p=-wh. Using the given values, we can find the specific weight of water to be 9790.38 N/m3. Then, setting the pressure at 2 atm (101325 Pa) and solving for h, we get a depth of 20.6 meters. This takes into account the starting pressure at the surface, making the final answer relative to the surface pressure.
Spartanlol
One atmosphere of pressure is equal to 101,325 Pa. If the density of water is 998 kg/m3, what is the necessary depth to reach 2 atm of pressure relative to the surface

Hydrostatic equation: p=-wh where p is change in density, w is specific weight (density*gravity), and h is change in altitude.

Now the hydrostatic equation is p=-wh where p is change in density, w is specific weight, and h is change in altitude. Now, to get w, it is simply w=(998)(9.81)=9790.38. So we now have p=-(9790.38)h. Now it is (101325*2)=-(9790.38)h. Multiply and divide and we get -20.69889014=h.

My question is whether I did this right or not. If I was successful, should I put it as positive 20.698 meters?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think your equation applies. For this problem, the density of water can be considered constant (incompressible fluid assumption).

Well, he gave us a hint of: "Hint: what equation relates altitude (or depth) with pressure?"

This equation would make sense. I'm not sure what you mean by the density being a constant. It already is. However, when calculating for pressure you need the specific weight of water which requires gravity times density. Also, from what I was told, 1 atm is 10.3 meters, so this answer should make sense.

The answer does make sense. I am just questioning how you got there.
Hydrostatic equation: p=-wh where p is change in density...
So, what was the change in density... of a constant-density fluid?

My apologies, I meant p is change in pressure.

Then back to your original question, a positive number for "depth" is appropriate. Good work.

Well, now that I think about it, wouldn't this answer be wrong? If it is the change in pressure, and we are going down to 2atm, wouldn't it still come out at positive 1atm, since the starting atm is 1? Or do we just count the starting pressure as 0?!

what is the necessary depth to reach 2 atm of pressure relative to the surface
They are looking for relative pressure. Surface pressure is your reference.
Prelative = Pabsolute@20.6 - Pabsolute@0

Related to Hydrostatic Equation/Finding depth

1. What is the Hydrostatic Equation?

The Hydrostatic Equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the pressure distribution in a static fluid. It states that the pressure at any point in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid column above that point, multiplied by the gravitational acceleration.

2. How do you find depth using the Hydrostatic Equation?

To find depth using the Hydrostatic Equation, you need to know the density of the fluid, the gravitational acceleration, and the pressure at the surface. You can then use the equation P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is gravitational acceleration, and h is the depth.

3. What are the units of the Hydrostatic Equation?

The units of the Hydrostatic Equation depend on the units used for density, gravitational acceleration, and pressure. However, the most common units are kilograms per cubic meter (density), meters per second squared (gravitational acceleration), and Pascals (pressure).

4. Can the Hydrostatic Equation be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, the Hydrostatic Equation can be used for any type of fluid, including liquids and gases. However, for gases, the equation is only accurate for small changes in depth due to the compressibility of gases.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Hydrostatic Equation?

The Hydrostatic Equation is used in various fields, including meteorology, oceanography, and engineering. It is used to calculate atmospheric pressure, determine ocean depths, and design and maintain efficient water distribution systems. It is also used in the study of buoyancy and fluid mechanics.