Hydrogen Wave Function Homework Problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the value of A in the normalized equation for a hydrogen atom in a specific state. The normalization condition is given and the eigenfunctions of hydrogen are provided, but the value of A must be calculated. The student considers using handbooks and previous formulas to solve the problem, but finds it confusing that some information is given while other pieces must be remembered. The normalization condition is given as the integral of the complex conjugate of \Psi, and A can be found by solving the integral using the given equation for \Psi.
toqp

Homework Statement

A problem from an examination:
A hydrogen atom is in the state
[tex]\Psi=A(\sqrt{6}\psi_{100}+\sqrt{2}\psi_{200}+\psi_{211}+2\psi_{31-1}+\sqrt{3}\psi_{321}+3\psi_{32-2})[/tex]
where [tex]\psi_{nlm}[/tex] are the eigenfunctions of hydrogen. Find A so that the equation is normalized.

Homework Equations

[tex]\psi_{nlm}=R_{nl}Y^m_l,\ \ \ Y^m_l=AP^m_l(cos\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can get the angular parts for Y from some handbook. But in the test no additional data is provided, so should I just remember the equations for R to get the problem solved.

I mean... in another problem it was told:
"Remember that [tex]a_{+}\psi=\sqrt(n+1)\psi_{n+1}[/tex]"

and then suddenly I have to remember how to get Rnl?
Well, ok.

I can remember that (according to Griffiths)
[tex]R_{nl}=\frac{1}{\rho}(\rho)^{l+1}\nu(\rho),\ \ \ \rho=\frac{r}{an}[/tex]

But then I also have to remember the recursion formula for the coefficients of [tex]\nu(\rho)[/tex]?

I can understand if that stuff is really something one needs to memorize, but what I find confusing is that in several cases stuff far easier to remember is given along with the problem. Which leads me to think I've gotten something wrong... that it shouldn't be this complex.

Physics news on Phys.org
offtop: totally agree with you about memorizing all this coeffs and formulas.

normalization condition is:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi \Psi^{*} = 1[/tex]
where [tex]\Psi^{*}[/tex] is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_conjugation" of [tex]\Psi[/tex]

so, introduce your [tex]\Psi[/tex] in integral, and get [tex]A[/tex] from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Hydrogen Wave Function Homework Problem

1. What is a hydrogen wave function?

A hydrogen wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding an electron in a particular location around a hydrogen atom. It describes the spatial distribution of the electron's energy and can be used to predict the behavior of the electron within the atom.

2. Why is the hydrogen wave function important?

The hydrogen wave function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms, which is crucial for understanding chemical reactions and the properties of matter. It also serves as the basis for quantum mechanics, which is a fundamental theory in physics.

3. How is the hydrogen wave function calculated?

The hydrogen wave function is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. This equation takes into account the energy of the electron, the mass of the electron, and the potential energy of the hydrogen atom.

4. What is the significance of the different quantum numbers in the hydrogen wave function?

The quantum numbers in the hydrogen wave function represent different characteristics of the electron, such as its energy level, orbital shape, and orientation in space. These numbers help to determine the specific location and behavior of the electron within the atom.

5. How is the hydrogen wave function used in chemistry?

The hydrogen wave function is used in chemistry to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in chemical reactions. It is also used to calculate various properties of atoms, such as ionization energy and atomic radius. Additionally, the hydrogen wave function is a key concept in the study of molecular orbitals and bonding between atoms.