Hydrogen atom wave function Help

In summary, a hydrogen atom wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding an electron in a specific location around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It is calculated using Schrödinger's equation and provides information about the electron's energy, momentum, and wave-like behavior. This function is closely related to electron orbitals and cannot be directly observed, but its predictions have been confirmed through experiments and have greatly advanced our understanding of atomic structure and properties.
Shafikae
Consider a hydrogen atom whose wave function is at t=0 is the following superposition of energy eigenfunctions nlm(r)
(r, t=0) = *[2100(r) -3200(r) +322(r)

What is the probability of finding the system in the ground state (100? in the state (200)? in the state (322)? In another energy eigenstate?
For this part i found each eigen state and put it into an integral. Should there be limits of integration for r? If so, from where to where? I did the integration for (100) and (200) but for (322) i got something crazy.

What is the expectation value of the energy: of the operator L2, of the operator Lz
I have no clue what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a hydrogen atom whose wave function is at t=0 is the following superposition of energy eigenfunctions [tex]\psi[/tex]nlm(r)
[tex]\Psi[/tex](r, t=0) = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}[/tex]*[2[tex]\psi[/tex]100(r) -3[tex]\psi[/tex]200(r) +[tex]\psi[/tex]322(r)

What is the probability of finding the system in the ground state (100? in the state (200)? in the state (322)? In another energy eigenstate?
For this part i found each eigen state and put it into an integral. Should there be limits of integration for r? If so, from where to where? I did the integration for (100) and (200) but for (322) i got something crazy.

What is the expectation value of the energy: of the operator L2, of the operator Lz
I have no clue what to do here.

First, it helps if you don't douple-post. Or even triple-post, there is an Edit button underneath the posts you made.

For your problem: a) the wave functions (eigen functions of the Hamiltonian) also depend on the angular variables [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex], not only on [tex]r[/tex], assuming you use standard spherical coordinates. In those, [tex]r[/tex] ranges from 0 to infinity.
b) you need the expression for [tex]L^2[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex] in spherical coordinates. Then you put them "in an integral". If you need more detailed explanations, show your integral and your results for the first to wave functions.

(Looks like multiple posts have been merged -- please do not multiple post.)

Sorry I didnt know how to edit my post... and I only reposted because I realize it was suppose to be in the homework section. Yes I know they depend on all three variables.

[tex]\psi[/tex]100 (r,[tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{exp(-r/a)}{\sqrt{pi*a3}}[/tex]

then i took the square of that and put it in an integral in terms of spherical coordinates...
my answer was -[tex]\frac{exp(-2r/a)}{a2}[/tex] (2r2 + 2ar + a2)

I did this each for all 3 states and obtained l[tex]\Psi[/tex](r, t=0) l2

Well, before worrying about triple integrals and spherical angles, I would search the book/the notes/the internet for the orthonormality relation of the H-atom's Hamiltonian eignefunctions. This would help you see which integrals need to be performed (if any) and which not.

another part of this question is if the eigen function a parity operator...
I know that under parity operation r -> -r
(r,[tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex]) -> (r, pi - [tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] + pi)

I think it is a parity operator unless I'm not really understanding it. Am I wrong?

Fixed your LaTex. You'll find it easier to write the whole expression in LaTeX rather than using it just for special characters. You can click on the expressions to see how they were coded.
Shafikae said:
[tex]\psi_{100}(r,\theta, \phi) = \frac{\exp(-r/a)}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}}[/tex]

then i took the square of that and put it in an integral in terms of spherical coordinates...
my answer was [tex]-\frac{\exp(-2r/a)}{a^2}(2r^2 + 2ar + a^2)[/tex].

I did this each for all 3 states and obtained [tex]|\Psi(r, t=0)|^2[/tex].
From what you've written, it's not really clear what you're calculating or why.

In general, to find the probability that the atom is in a state ϕ, you would first calculate the amplitude

[tex]A_\phi = \langle \phi \vert \Psi \rangle = \int_0^\infty \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \phi^*(r,\theta,\phi)\Psi(r,\theta,\phi) r^2 \sin\theta \,d\phi\,d\theta\,dr[/tex]

and then square its modulus to get the probability Pϕ=|Aϕ|2.

In this problem, the state ϕ happens to be an eigenstate of the hydrogen atom and Ψ is expressed as a linear combination of hydrogen atom eigenstates; therefore, you can take advantage the orthonormality of the eigenstates and avoid grinding through the integrals. (Or you could grind out the integrals, and if you do them correctly, you should see the property we're all referring to.)
Shafikae said:
another part of this question is if the eigen function a parity operator...
I know that under parity operation r -> -r
(r,[tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex]) -> (r, pi - [tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] + pi)

I think it is a parity operator unless I'm not really understanding it. Am I wrong?
That's the effect of the parity operator P on the wave function ψ:

[tex]\hat{P}\psi(r,\theta,\phi) = \psi(r,\pi-\theta,\phi+2\pi)[/tex]

The question is asking you to determine whether

[tex]\hat{P}\psi(r,\theta,\phi) = \lambda \psi(r,\theta,\phi)[/tex]

holds for some constant λ.

Related to Hydrogen atom wave function Help

1. What is a hydrogen atom wave function?

A hydrogen atom wave function is a mathematical description of the probability of finding an electron in a specific location around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It represents the wave-like nature of electrons and is used to understand the behavior and properties of atoms.

2. How is a hydrogen atom wave function calculated?

A hydrogen atom wave function is calculated using Schrödinger's equation, which takes into account the energy of the electron, the potential energy of the nucleus, and the distance between them. This equation is solved using advanced mathematical techniques to obtain the wave function.

3. What does the hydrogen atom wave function tell us about the electron?

The hydrogen atom wave function tells us the probability of finding an electron at a specific location around the nucleus. It also gives us information about the energy and momentum of the electron, as well as its wave-like behavior.

4. How does the hydrogen atom wave function relate to electron orbitals?

The hydrogen atom wave function is used to calculate the shape of electron orbitals, which represent regions of space where the electron is most likely to be found. The probability density of the wave function is highest in these orbitals, indicating a higher chance of finding the electron in that region.

5. Can the hydrogen atom wave function be observed?

No, the hydrogen atom wave function cannot be directly observed. It is a mathematical model that helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms. However, its predictions have been experimentally verified and have greatly contributed to our understanding of atomic structure and properties.