Hydrogen Atom in Magnetic Field

In summary, the forum member is attempting to find the probability of a hydrogen atom transition in a magnetic field. They have used the Hamiltonian and matrix element for the spin-orbit interaction, but have not considered the Zeeman effect and transitions between states with different values of j. They may need to use time-dependent perturbation theory to properly calculate the transition probability.
antibrane
I am attempting to find the probability, after time [itex]t[/itex], of a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field [itex]\vec{\mathbf{B}}=B_0\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex] to go from

[tex]
\left|n,l,s,j,m_j\right\rangle \longrightarrow \left|n',l',s,j',m_j'\right\rangle
[/tex]

where [itex]j=l+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]j'=l'+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] or [itex]j'=l'-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. Since it is hydrogen then [itex]s=s'=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

What I thought I should do was use the Hamiltonian

[tex]
\hat{H}=-\vec{\boldsymbol{\mu}}\cdot\vec{\mathbf{B}}=\frac{e}{2m}(\vec{\mathbf{L}}+2\vec{\mathbf{S}})
[/tex]

and then I get the matrix element for the transition,

[tex]
\left\langle n',l',s',j',m_j'\right|\hat{H}\left|n,l,s,j,m_j \right\rangle=\frac{\hbar e}{2m} B_0g_Jm_j\langle n',l',s',j',m_j'|n,l,s,j,m_j\rangle
[/tex]

where [itex]g_F[/itex] is the Lande g-factor. I would have used this in time-dependent perturbation theory to get the probability after time [itex]t[/itex], however, while this does give me a non-zero element for [itex]j'=l'+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] (where we would have [itex]l'=l[/itex]), it is zero due to orthogonality for the other case ([itex]j'=l'-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]). Is there something wrong with the way I am going about this?

I really appreciate any comments.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and approach to finding the probability of a hydrogen atom transition in a magnetic field. Your use of the Hamiltonian and matrix element is a good starting point. However, there are a few things to consider in your calculation.

First, the matrix element you have written is for a spin-orbit interaction, which is not the only interaction present in a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field. There is also the Zeeman effect, which arises from the coupling between the electron spin and the magnetic field. The total Hamiltonian for a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field would be the sum of these two interactions:

\hat{H}=-\vec{\boldsymbol{\mu}}\cdot\vec{\mathbf{B}}+\hat{H}_{SO}+\hat{H}_{Z}

where \hat{H}_{SO} is the spin-orbit interaction and \hat{H}_{Z} is the Zeeman interaction.

Second, the matrix element you have written is only valid for transitions between states with the same total angular momentum j. For transitions between states with different values of j, the matrix element would involve a Clebsch-Gordan coefficient and would not be as simple as the one you have written.

In order to properly calculate the probability of a transition between states with different values of j, you would need to use time-dependent perturbation theory and take into account both the spin-orbit and Zeeman interactions. This would involve solving the time-dependent Schrödinger equation for the system and calculating the transition probability from the time evolution of the wavefunction.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction for your calculation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Hydrogen Atom in Magnetic Field

1. What is a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field?

A hydrogen atom in a magnetic field refers to a hydrogen atom that is exposed to an external magnetic field. This field can cause changes in the behavior and properties of the atom, such as the splitting of energy levels and the precession of the atom's spin.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a hydrogen atom?

A magnetic field affects a hydrogen atom by causing the energy levels to split into multiple sublevels, known as the Zeeman effect. It also causes the atom's spin to precess, meaning it rotates around the axis of the magnetic field. This can also affect the atom's magnetic moment and electron spin resonance.

3. What is the significance of studying hydrogen atoms in magnetic fields?

Studying hydrogen atoms in magnetic fields is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of atoms in the presence of external forces. This has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and materials science.

4. How is the behavior of a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field described mathematically?

The behavior of a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field is described mathematically by the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the effects of the magnetic field on the atom's energy levels and wavefunction. This equation can be solved to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of the atom in the presence of a magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding hydrogen atoms in magnetic fields?

Understanding hydrogen atoms in magnetic fields has real-world applications in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and magnetometers used in navigation systems. It also helps in studying the behavior of atoms in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field and in the magnetic fields of other celestial bodies.